Royal Icing On Tulle?

Decorating By sweetideas Updated 14 Jul 2008 , 11:33am by Omicake

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 7

I've seen a couple royal icing churches on here and one CC'er said she used royal on tulle to get the effect. How does someone do that? Any ideas?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 7

I didn't see that work but I mean some tulle is real stiff well I guess they call that netting but you can just pipe on anything. I mean royal icing can be used for glue. Like for gingerbread structures, royal icing is used.

Need more information and maybe a picture.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 7

If you can get a copy of "Great Cake Decorating" by Nicholas Lodge and Janice Murfitt, Chapter 19, page 225, there is a lot of information and photos on working with tulle and royal icing.

Thats the only place I remember seeing any info on using tulle.

sweetideas Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:19am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for your response. I can't find the picture I had in my favorites of the church.... But it was 3-D made out of royal icing. I'll keep looking. Thanks again!

Lindakbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindakbh Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 7

I used tulle to make the booties for the âShower cake for baby Rachaelâ in my photos. I used the pattern and instructions from The International School of Sugarcraft, Book 1,by Nicholas Lodge and Janice Murfitt.

I cut a piece of gumpaste for the soles and then a piece of tulle for the top. The instructions say to use royal icing to glue the tulle to the soles but I couldnât get it to work- the tulle kept pulling away. So I glued it on with gumpaste glue (Tylose mixed with water).

When that was dry, I used wadded up Kleenex dipped in cornstarch to lightly stuff the booties. The instructions donât call for that, but the tulle kept collapsing when I piped on the royal icing. The instructions called for using a â00â tube, but I had to give up and use a #1 because the royal kept drying in the tube. Very frustrating! So maybe it wouldnât have collapsed with the smaller amount of royal. After it was dry, the Kleenex pulled out easily without breaking the royal icing so it worked out.

One of the shower attendees said âBut I thought everything had to be edible!â like it was a contest. That cracked me up.

sweetideas Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:21am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, Lindakbh, your bootie cake is beautiful!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 11:33am
post #7 of 7

Many years ago , tulle was used with the purpose of giving the royal icing piece strength.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%