Duff is coming for the Big Lebowski festival. Just saw the movie last night. Really bizarre. Anyway his band is coming to play - and then he's going to be delivering a cake. I think Food Network is taping it.
Unfortunately, the cake is being presented later in the night to a separate event I don't have a ticket for It's in a bowling alley. The tickets have been sold out for awhile - before I even knew Duff was coming.
Someone suggested maybe I should make a cake to bring to Duff and try to get myself into the bowling alley. I know that I can't get in without a ticket.... so I was trying to figure out if I could bribe someone to bring me a piece of cake or something. Anyone have any wonderful ideas?
Or if I do bring a cake, is that extremely cheesy? It's not like Duff is really going to want to eat some cake from some strange girl off the street. I don't have a licensed bakery - I just bake from home.... so it's not like I'm a local bakery donating a cake or anything.....
I need some sneaky ideas! I REALLY want a piece of cake! I've been e-mailing the event coordinators and trying to get them to understand I WANT A PIECE OF CAKE! I know I don't have a ticket - I don't have to participate in any of the activities, I don't have to eat any of the other food (if there is any), I don't want any door prizes - I just want CAKE! That's not so much to ask for, is it?
Can you do decorated cookies? Duff hates making cookies (there was a show about him doing stacked wedding cake cookies). Do a trade...awesome decorated cookies for a piece of cake!
LOL! I'm not such a great cookie maker - but that's an idea! I've done cookies before - but I usually decorate with fondant - none of that really awesome piped stuff. I wonder what his favorite cookie is? Maybe it wouldn't even have to be decorated......
Although I am a little concerned he might be scared to eat something from some strange fan-stalker-girl. I don't want to come off like a stalker I'm just a big fan.
Yeah Big Lebowski is not a good movie. As for getting a piece of cake, I have no suggestions for you that you haven't already thought of. Good luck though! I'm hoping and praying you get a piece of cake!
I thought that movie was hilarious!!
I'm not sure it was a bad movie, but I'm not sure it was a good movie either. It had its moments, certainly
im here and I'm gonna get cake!
i LOVE the big lebowski!!!! my DH loved it when it first came out and i didn't really see what the big deal was. then he made me watch it again and it really does get funnier! there are so many things you miss the first time you watch it. it has a huge cult following (obviously with the festival etc.) my hubby, a bunch of my friends and i are dying to go to the festival.
anywho, watch it again and make a cake of a gross, bandaged, cut-off big toe with the nail painted green . if that doesn't get you in i don't know what will!
YEAH! It was fun. To answer questions people may have:
1) Duff was cool. He seemed very very busy. They did talk about an "After Party" when his band was done planning..... but I don't know what time that was going to happen. We left around 12:30 AM.
2) His band, "So I had to" played and was pretty cool. They were fun to watch once they got started. Duff broke a guitar string on the first song Stuff happens. It was fun and they were good.
3) The cake! It was a giant toe! Thank God we went into the bowling alley ahead of time and were able to take pictures.
4) How do they present the cake? Oh my gosh. It was a ton of people all pressed up against each other trying to get close to the cake. If we hadn't taken pictures ahead of time, I would never have known what the cake looked like. Duff cut the cake with a pair of plastic scissors for some reason.... and then? NO KNIFE. I guess the bowling alley didn't think about that. There was no way to cut the cake! So people just went at it like mad animals! I did get some.
5) How does it taste? Well it was a yellow/ butter cake and I think it had a Kahlua filling (white russians are big in the movie). It was a good cake, but there didn't seem to be a lot of filling, and I don't think there was any icing underneath the fondant at all. Maybe there was, but it must have been very thin. I would have liked more icing. Although, if I'd actually gotten a slice versus a "pile" of cake, it might have had more icing.
Overall, it was a fun event, I'm glad I got to see Duff (although I wish I could've taken another picture with him - the one I had turned out a little blurry), and I'm glad I got to try the cake! I'd still like to work with him one day.
Oh and dude he looks a lot thinner in person! I wonder if he's lost a lot of weight.
By the way, this cake should be on the season finale If you see a girl in a teal colored shirt with a green/turquoise flower necklace - that's me!
Sorry that the pictures are kinda in reverse order!
that is FANTASTIC!!! I LOVE THE TOE!!!
ya know i've always thought they didn't put much buttercream under the fondant. i think another person who had won a charm city cakes cake said the same stuff you did. personally, i'm a big frosting and filling fan but being at that festival AND meeting duff is huge! i'm living vicariously through you!
How cool is that! I can't believe people dove -Literally-into the cake.
Another CCer posted about getting a Charm City Cake and said the same thing about not having enough filling or icing under the fondant.
i wish duff was coming to my town