Can I Put Mmf Fondant Cake In Refrigerator?

Decorating By cakaddict Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm by buttercream_dreams

cakaddict Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hello!

This is the first time I must put a MMF fondant cake in the refrigerator because of the time I make it and the time I deliver it (i'm not a professionnal, it's only for my brother's birthday).

Is it a good idea?? Can humidity cause any damage to my cake in the refrigerator? I am worried about the look it could have when it slowly takes room temperature after removing it from the refrigerator...condensation make me hesitate.

Could you tell me if it's possible or not?

Thank you very much!

Cakaddict icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 6

it is possible and it will get condensation on it. Why do you need to put it in the fridge?? Do you have a perishable filling or something??? Because if not I would just leave it at room temp in a box, I think putting cakes in the fridge dries them out...they're usually fine at room temp for like 5 days even! If you have to put it in the fridge when you take it out and it gets condensation DON'T TOUCH IT! Let it dry, it could take a few hours...just let it sit. Another downside to the fridge with fondant is that sometimes the cold will create air pockets in your otherwise perfectlly smooth fondant! That can be a super pain

cakaddict Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 6

OMG! Thanks for the answer!

I was about to put it in the fridge......... icon_eek.gif

Frodo, my big fat cat, I'm sooooo afraid he could jump on the cake, wherever I put it icon_confused.gif

You convinced me, I'll try to find a place out of his reach.

Thank you so much!

Have a nice day!

Cakaddict icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 6

get a box for it........even if it's a big moving box! put it in there tape the flaps up if you need extra height and put plastic wrap over the top opening....no worries about the cat or cat hair flying in there.

KathyAM Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

I am not the world's biggest authority on this subject, but I looked this exact question up about a month ago because I had a cake that was filled with stabilized whipped cream and fresh berries. What I found out was that you can put it in the fridge with the fondant on as long as you cover all of the surfaces with plastic wrap. There should not be any air between the fondant and the wrap. I did this and did not have any problems with the cake or the fondant. I decorated the cake a few hours before the event and did not refrigerate the cake after decorating.

buttercream_dreams Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 6

i've never done it at home, or with mmf, but at the bakery i worked at we would always make any wedding cakes the day before and then stick them in the milk cooler until the people came the next day-gumpaste and all.

they never seemed problematic or even seemed to condense (mind you we would pull from the fridge and hand over to client, not watch it through the process of coming to room temp) but at the same time no one ever came back saying they had a huge disaster on their hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%