Will I Be The Only One In The Wilton Ii Class...

Business By missmeg Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm by missmeg

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 5

Who already has a cake decorating business icon_biggrin.gif ?

After 5 years, I finally feel proficient enough to take Course II at our local AC Moore. The sad thing is that I already *do* most of what is taught in Course II, but it's self-taught. And for the life of me I just can't figure out how do do dasies and pansies, which are taught.

I'm looking forward to it though! I've already decided that for my final cake I'm going to do the pansie basket featured on the 1997 Wilton Yearbook cover. I like that so much better than the white basket weave that's supposed to be done.

4 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 5

It is very likely that you'll be the most experienced person in the room, maybe even more than the instructor! But as you said, you'll be there to learn daisies and pansies and maybe you'll pick up some other tips/tricks too. Have fun!

missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 5

It was one of those instances where I couldn't *NOT* take the course. They were offering 1/2 off the price of the course - $40 course for just $20. That's just $5 per week! And it's not like I need to purchase any materials, you know icon_wink.gif. Even dh said I couldn't pass it up.

I'm hoping to breeze through this so I can get Courses III and IV under my belt. It's the fondant stuff I'm interested in learning more about.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmeg

It was one of those instances where I couldn't *NOT* take the course. They were offering 1/2 off the price of the course - $40 course for just $20. That's just $5 per week! And it's not like I need to purchase any materials, you know icon_wink.gif. Even dh said I couldn't pass it up.

I'm hoping to breeze through this so I can get Courses III and IV under my belt. It's the fondant stuff I'm interested in learning more about.

Hey Missmeg,

As someone who teaches the Wilton courses and after looking at your work, I would say you are definitely overqualified for the courses but if you would like to take them, you probably will pick up a trick or two here and there if your teacher is good. I really just wanted to write to let you know that you don't have to take course 2 to take course 3 or the FGP course. You may not get much out of a course like course 2 if you do not want to learn royal icing techniques.

Course 2 is mostly royal icing and will teach, as you say, some of the flowers you are interested in. Just know, you may have to work extra hard not to make the teacher feel too bad if you already know all the techniques. I am sure you will have a good time, but just remember you can take the courses out of order and also pick and choose from what you are specifically interested in. Have fun!

PS-Course 2 is my favorite of the courses to teach and class I took icon_lol.gif The flowers are great and they last forever and are so elegant

missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 5

Aww shucks Loriana - than you so much for the compliment. I really do still feel like a novice, mostly 'cause I don't have many clients yet.

I really enjoy doing RI flowers, and really want to learn more types of them. I'm actually more nervous about doing BC roses, 'cause I HATE them with a passion. I can do RI roses all day long, but BC roses always give me problems.

My mom took the Wiltons courses back when I was a little girl. I remember seeing her pansies and thinking they were the ultimate in 'cake flowers' (as I called them back then). It will mean so much to me to be able to make them like my mom did.

My course starts July 23rd - I can't waiticon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%