White Buttercream In The Uk??

Decorating By HannahLass Updated 28 Jun 2015 , 2:54pm by CoinUK

HannahLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahLass Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:46am
post #1 of 16

Hi I'm in the uk and want to make white buttercream icing does anyone know what the uk equivalent of Crisco is? No matter how much I beat the butter icing with butter in it is still yellow and this just doesnt work for decorating the top of sheet cakes. Thank you

15 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:10am
post #2 of 16

Trex is what you need to look for - blergh!

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 16

Do you know if Trex is like Crisco or like high ratio shortening? I want to find something like the high ratio shortening that everybody raves about. Thanks

MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 16

Crisco. Are you going to be feeding British people with that shortening cr*p? They really won't thank you, it's disgusting. Just my 2cts! I see no reason for using such a thing in the UK, it doesn't get anywhere near as hot/humid as it does in some parts of the US and that's why people use it there, because it holds up better in heat. If it's the yellow tinge to an all-butter buttercream that concerns you, then I have a great recipe that whips up to a very pale cream colour, and that can be cancelled by adding a teeny, teeny touch of violet/royal blue at the end (a cocktail stick tip amount at a time).

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 16

BONJOVIBABE, COULD YOU PLEASE SHARE YOUR BUTTERCREAM RECIPE WITH US.

1BAKED453 Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 16

BTW,BONJOVIBABE YOUR CAKES ARE SUPERERB.THE HEART CAKE TOPPER ON THE PINK FOUR TIER IS SO QUAINT AND PERFECT FOR WEDDING CAKES.ALSO,WHAT DUSTS DO YOU USE AND HOW DO YOU APPLY IT?

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 16

I make butter cream to fill my cakes. Mine is white, I beat the butter in a mixer until it is white its never yellow.
Lynne

trishthedish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishthedish Posted 26 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 16

just a thought, here in the US at natural/health food stores you can buy butter without the dye in it and it is almost pure white.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 5:07am
post #9 of 16

Bonjovibabe, thanks for the tips. So can you share your superb recipe? Pretty please.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:26am
post #10 of 16

750g icing (powdered) sugar
250g salted butter at room temp
1 tbsp vanilla or other extract
3 tbsp water or milk

Beat all of the above in a stand mixer on medium speed for 6 mins, then either whiten if necessary with the violet/blue tip, or add your desired colours.
This icing will also crust enough to use the Melvira or Viva smoothing methods.

Hope that helps!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 7:30am
post #11 of 16

Ibaked - I use a lot of disco sparkles on my cakes and also lustre dusts. The disco sparkles are either sprinkled directly on a freshly decorated buttercream cake, or for fondant I brush the surface with a clear alcohol (vodka etc) first. To paint with lustre dust I mix it with a bit of alcohol first, or dust it directly on the surface with a big blusher brush (used specifically for that purpose!) Hope that helps!

tytyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tytyrita Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 16

Hannahlass, i'm in the UK as well and what i use to get a white butercream is half and half of butter and trex, beaten to an inch of it's life in a mixer, i start the mixer on slow and the increase the speed gradually, b4 adding the icing sugar.. i hope this helps..
i'm not a great fan of buttercream anyways i use sugarpaste, it give a better finish and it quicker, but when customers ask for b/cream there's no escaping it for me..lol

1BAKED453 Posted 27 Jul 2008 , 10:35pm
post #13 of 16

TANXS BONJOVIBABE.THAT REALLY HELPS ALOT

lou2224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lou2224 Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 12:01pm
post #14 of 16

Hi does using half and half of trex and butter, to create buttercream, and beating the life out of trex and butter first, create a off white buttercream or a pure white buttercream (like snow)? 

And do you have a recipe that you have successfully created white buttercream from using this method? 

Thanks for the help!

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 28 Jun 2015 , 2:52pm
post #15 of 16

Never tried it myself, but could something like this help? I've been tempted to try it myself, but not had a reason to yet.

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%