Does Vanilla Xtract Go Bad??

Decorating By marion123 Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 9:59am by Momkiksbutt

marion123 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 5

I left the top off of my bottle of vanilla xtract and had a baggie over it. It was in the pantry and tomorrow will be a week since I have used it..

I have a cake order due Sat. am, so I really don't have time to buy another bottle..Is the one I have OK or do I have to get a new one??

4 replies
karateka Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:56am
post #2 of 5

Vanilla extract is made with alcohol, which evaporates readily. I'd taste it and smell it. See if it's the same as before. I would be hesitant to use it, myself.

joenshan Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:19am
post #3 of 5

karateka is correct. If anything, some of the alcohol component may have evaporated off, making it more syrupy/concentrated. However, it wouldn't go rancid or anything like that.

marion123 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:48am
post #4 of 5

thanks.. I actually have Butter tract from my wilton tool box kit... Is butter xtract just as good for frosting.?. It semms very buttery...

Momkiksbutt Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:59am
post #5 of 5

I'd taste it

I just had to laugh at that!! When I read it I had visions of tricking my little brother into tasting a spoonful when I was making cookies, when I was 16 and he was 3, cuz he was bugging me when he could smell it and kept trying to drink it cuz it smelled "yummy"....LOL Makes me smile just thinking about it!!

And for the record....vanilla never lasts long enough around my house to get "syrupy"...icon_razz.gif Does that mean I bake too much!! LOL thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%