First Time Wedding Cake... Top Tier Question...

Decorating By Ruby2uesday Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm by alracntna

Ruby2uesday Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so i was never a "have to have a big wedding" type of girl. i used the j.p. twice and only been to 2 full wedding ceremonies in my life and that was my sisters when i was younger. anyway, got my first inquiry about a wedding cake! YEAH ME! icon_wink.gif she's looking at 75 people. so i remember about the top tier and looking to price. So just say i charge 3.00/slice. on Wiltons a 12/9=88 serv. and then the 6" top tier that you dont' include in serv. But i'd still add the 12 serv to the price correct??? so i'd charge for 100 serv. total right??? making it $300? plus delivery and such.

Thanks! it's in January, and we haven't crunched numbers yet, i just want to get all my facts and numbers in my head for when we do!

OOOOOH Yeah, Also, what's it w/ the Grooms cake???? Do you take that off of the total serv for the wedding cake? i mean if they want a grooms cake AND a wedding cake? How do you do the serv. numbers for that in regards to the wedding cake??? Never even HEARD of a grooms cake till i came here to CC! LOL

4 replies
aswartzw Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:52am
post #2 of 5

Oh my! You are asking the trickiest wedding cake questions ever! icon_wink.gif

Top tier options:

1. Pay--They serve it at the wedding instead of keeping it b/c they don't want one for their anniversary or b/c you give them a free anniversary cake which they contact you for next year (maybe set a minimum $100 order)--therefore, you would count it in the servings

2. Don't Pay--You do it as a gift anyway and give it to them for free upfront.

Groom's cake:

1. Some places the guests get a slice of the groom's cake and the wedding cake so it will be large enough for that.

2. Or maybe do half the party size for it but don't subtract the number from the wedding cake (basically the wedding cake will always be equal to the number of guests--the grooms cake is in addition)

Basically, I'd just ask the bride what she wants.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #3 of 5

I do an anniversary cake and a honeymoon cake delivered with the wedding cake. Each a 4" cake, one layer, torted, looks nice, boxed, decorated to match ready to rock & roll. No extra work later. Once and done or old and lazy. Your call. icon_lol.gif

bsan Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 5

Charge them for all the serving 100 - $300.
Use the top tier as part of the servings at the wedding.
Make a 6" anniversary cake. Freeze and box for them. Have them pick up after their honeymoon or deliver to them when they return. It's frozen and boxed properly and no one needs to mess around with saving the top tier.

alracntna Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 5

this is what i do. i tell them that the butter cream is not going to be good in a year and that is true. butter cream in the freezer only last up to 6 months before it begins to separate. then i suggest they serve the top and have it recreated in a year. so charge for ALL servings then tell them most people get the wedding cake to serve all their guest and the grooms to serve half. so if they want 75 servings for the wedding cake then the grooms should serve 37 people. does this help?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%