Cupcakes And Traveling Question

Baking By Smiller94 Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm by aimers

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:32am
post #1 of 6

I have a family reunion in September of this year. I live in Texas and the reunion is going to be in Louisiana. My mom and I are hosting the reunion so we need to go there a few days ahead of time to start the details for the reunion.

My Mom wants me to make 2 sheet cakes and 400 cupcakes. There is my problem. How soon can I start making the cupcakes ahead of time for the trip. The reunion is going to be on a Saturday and we are leaving ahead of time on Thursday.

The reunion is not until Sept, is it possible to bake and freeze the cupcakes and if so how long ahead of time? Also transporting the 400 cupcakes what is the best and cheapest way to transport them? without spending alot of money.

Any help , greatly appreciated!

Thanks !

5 replies
Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 6

WOW! That's a lot of cupcakes!

I have frozen my cupcakes for several months and they still come out tasting great.

I have never really thought about transporting so many cupcakes. I know that the cake store here sells boxes with cupcake inserts big enough to fit 2 dozen cupcakes. But that would still be over 30 boxes....so that may not be the cheapest way to go.

There is a website: http://www.brpboxshop.com/index.html that sells boxes and inserts. You have to buy 100...but they come out WAY cheaper than my cake store.

GOOD LUCK! And please keep us posted.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 6

Are you going to make just reg size cupcakes? There's a thread on here somewhere about a homemade cupcake carrier but I can't find who the OP was. Anyway, I made one of these and it cost me about 2.50 and I can fit 30 cupcakes in it. It would still take a lot of boxes but you can reuse them or use them as half sheet boxes. I used a half sheet box and some 8 oz dixie cups. Cut the top off of the dixie cups so they are about 3 inches tall. Hot glue them to the bottom of the cake box spaced evenly apart. I put 6 across and 5 down. Then you can just put your cupcakes in the little cups, they stay seperated and travel very well for me. Thank you to whoever gave this idea by the way!! thumbs_up.gif I think you could do it with a full sheet box too and then it wouldn't take as many boxes. Hope this helps a little....I know nothing about freezing! I'm a little afraid of the freezer! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gif My mom and gramma are women that think if you put it in the freezer it'll last forever and I still haven't gotten over those horribly freezer burned "things" from when I was a kid..haven't gotten over that fear! icon_redface.gif Sorry so long!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:31am
post #4 of 6

Wow, great idea on making a cupcake transport box! I will be trying to make on tomorrow to get an idea of how it will work. I will be making standard cupcakes, 400 of them!!!

For freezing the cupcakes, would freezing them 1 week ahead of time and letting the day of the drive allow for defrosting before okay? Also to freeze cupcakes how do you do it? Do you freeze them like a regular cake and wrap them seperately? Or is there an more efficient way to freeze the cupcakes?

Thank for all the help!!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 6:42am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Are you going to make just reg size cupcakes? There's a thread on here somewhere about a homemade cupcake carrier but I can't find who the OP was. Anyway, I made one of these and it cost me about 2.50 and I can fit 30 cupcakes in it. It would still take a lot of boxes but you can reuse them or use them as half sheet boxes. I used a half sheet box and some 8 oz dixie cups. Cut the top off of the dixie cups so they are about 3 inches tall. Hot glue them to the bottom of the cake box spaced evenly apart. I put 6 across and 5 down. Then you can just put your cupcakes in the little cups, they stay seperated and travel very well for me. Thank you to whoever gave this idea by the way!! thumbs_up.gif I think you could do it with a full sheet box too and then it wouldn't take as many boxes. Hope this helps a little....I know nothing about freezing! I'm a little afraid of the freezer! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gif My mom and gramma are women that think if you put it in the freezer it'll last forever and I still haven't gotten over those horribly freezer burned "things" from when I was a kid..haven't gotten over that fear! icon_redface.gif Sorry so long!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Michelle that was me! I'm glad you found it helpful. icon_smile.gif

ETA

this is the thread. am gonna get one of the mods to move it here in the cupcake forum where it belongs. my next project is a DIY Ghetto Fabulous Cupcake Tower Stand LOL

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586286-.html

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 6

I have had an order for 500 carrot cake cupcakes, I started them the week before and baked off 100 each night. I iced them the following morning and packaged them in a half sheet box, with just a cake board underneath them. I double wrapped each box in plastic wrap (from smart/final the largest width you can get) and then placed them in a deep freezer. I stacked the boxes up and on the day of the event I loaded the boxes in the car while they were frozen. I think it took like 16-17 boxes and I averaged 25-30 cupcakes per box. The easiest way was to load them in the boxes uniced and I piped on the icing while they were in the box. That way I made sure I did not ice over the edge of the cupcakes and then if they touched at least it was just the paper and not icing smushing into eachother. I drove with them like 8 boxes high, the plastic wrap also kept them from slipping during the drive. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%