Help Beginner Mixing Colors!!!!! Fuschia??? Bright Pink?

Decorating By Xime Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm by dinas27

Xime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Xime Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 9

Hello everybody!
I am a beginner cake decorator...really only do them for friends or family, and now I am planning my daughter's 3rd birthday cake...
It's gonna be a Dora the Explorer cake and I really have no clue as to how to mix a bright pink color for my fondant... I know how to do pastel pink, but just adding more red is not going to do it! ANyone can help me out???? icon_cry.gif Thank you so much!!!

8 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 9

Use Chefmaster liquid paste in Bakers Rose color -- that should give you a good start. Add a dot of royal blue or purple to get a more fushia color. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and WELCOME to CC (better known as your new addiction!) icon_lol.gif

Xime Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 9

Sorry...another question...
ANd if I do not have the Chefmaster color to begin with? The thing is I am currently out of the US and have to use the basic Wilton paste colors (the package that has like 12 colors....
Thanks for the answer and warm welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:29am
post #4 of 9

I have been decorating for over 35 years and I'm sure it's possible to mix a fuschia but I've never been able to do it. And I'm from the generation that mixed everything. I could mix burgundy but not fuschia. Now we can buy all the entire spectrum of colors ready to go.

So if I was attempting this with basic colors, I would use a pretty pink. I would scale the design back to whatever pretty pink I could make with what I had.

We were all real happy when they started making a fuschia.

Just a thought for you.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #5 of 9

I've never worked with fondant. Does it take color in the same way that buttercream or cream cheese frosting does? If so, I achieved this pink with Wilton's regular Pink color.

KathyAM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyAM Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of 9

Fondant takes color the same as buttercream or royal icing. You will have to do a lot of kneading to get it mixed in, assuming you are starting with ready-made. If you are using a recipe, you could add the color to the liquid mixture before you start adding powdered sugar.

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 9

wiltons fine, pink with a tiny bit of blue/purple will give you a fushia color

Xime Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone! I will try the regular pink and see how it goes! I will let you know! thumbs_up.gif

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 9

I had this problem a month ago... I read a lot on getting 'fushia' well I tried everything from adding purple to red, everything just looked so muddy. I finally went and bought every red, burgandy and pink at Michaels. I used straight Wiltons Rose color and lots of it. Mixed it right into my melted marshmallows when making MMF. The picture is the paisley wedding cake in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%