Help!!! Bettercreme

Baking By pinkbeesugar Updated 28 Mar 2014 , 5:42am by mattyeatscakes

pinkbeesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbeesugar Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 55

Melvira, fiddlesticks, are you out there.....i am trying my first attempt at bettercreme and I am not sure the consistancy is right. and it tastes like cool whip. should i add flavoring??? help I am trying not to panic icon_cry.gif

54 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #2 of 55

Ok, remain calm!! It's going to be a little thicker than Cool Whip at the ideal consistency. Just keep whipping it until it gets there. It might take a little while. And DEFINITELY add flavoring! You almost can't go wrong... it takes any flavor so well and makes an amazing filling/icing!! Good luck, you can DO it!!

pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 55

thank you. you really are amazing to learn from. I know i will add the flavoring before the whipping, and i'll just expirement from there!!! thanks again.. i am sure you'll hear from me again tomorrow!!!!

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:53am
post #4 of 55

One word of caution. It goes very quickly from "cool whip" consistency to "overwhipped" so watch. If you do overwhip, you can add a lil more bettercreme to "unwhip" it a bit.

Melvira Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #5 of 55

That is very true!! Once it starts to thicken, I DO NOT walk away from it!! Stay close and keep an eye on it because it looks icky when it's overwhipped! (That's why I don't like the prewhipped stuff, it looks like that already!) Enjoy!! And let me know if you need any help! I'm here for ya!!! thumbs_up.gif

cameron0925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cameron0925 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #6 of 55

I have not heard of bettercreme?? Where can I find the recipe to try it??
TIA

grealock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grealock Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 55

Here is my favorite recipe. I found it here.

Buttercream Dream

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time: 7-10 min
Cook Time:
Category: Frostings
Difficulty: Easy

This recipe was made from trial and error. I made two mixtures of buttercream. One with salted butter which was too buttery (salty) and one with unsalted butter which was still too sweet. So I combined the two and it became the best buttercream I've ever tasted. I use this recipe for all of my cake orders and it is a hit every time!!!

1 stick butter (unsalted)
1 stick butter (salted)
1 cup shortening
2lb bag of confectioner's sugar
3 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
5-6 tablespoons of milk (cold)

Cream butter and shortening. Add clear vanilla extract then add confectioner's sugar. Allow confectioner's sugar to blend well then add milk. For thinner consistency, add more than 6 tablespoons of milk.
Source:
Contributed by: AgentCakeBaker on Saturday, February 18. 2006 at 12:34:07

More Recipes of AgentCakeBaker

Melvira Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #8 of 55

I'm sorry, there is not a recipe for it, it's actually a product! It's called "Rich's Bettercreme" and can be found in the freezer section of some cake suppply/food service stores. It comes in two versions, pre-whipped in a giant bucket, or liquid which you whip yourself in quart paper containers like milk. (The liquid is so much better!!) If you cannot find it in your area, let us know your relative location and we'll try to see if anyone in your general area knows where to get it! It's amazing stuff! SOOO nummy!!

In a pinch, if you absolutely cannot get it in your area, there is a recipe for a 'mock whipped icing' available. If you want that just let me know, but I will tell you in advance that I have not personally used it. Some people have had problems with it, while it has worked perfectly for others!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:56am
post #9 of 55

I wish I had found this post before my last ice cream cake. It was such a disaster! I had no idea what consistency I was looing for and the carton said DO NOT OVERWHIP so I underwhipped it and it slid entirely off the cake and it was all over my freezer. It was such a mess. Now I know what to look for, I might try it again. And I would love to learn how to make it taste better...to me it tasted like cool whip which I am not a fan of. But everyone raves about using it as a base for fillings so I would love to try it again. I found my carton at Gordon's food service and I haven't seen it anyplace else.

pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 55

sweetideas, i know exactly how you feel. I liked cool whip as a kid, but I was suprised just how much bettercreme tasted like it. I was afraid not only of overwhipping, but too much/not enough flavoring so i left it plain.

I did only whip a portion of the carton, but i will use it in the future for filling as opposed to icing unless requested. Ice creme cake would be perfect, but i am not sure it would freeze solid enough

anyone out there to help us?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:37pm
post #11 of 55

pinkbeesugar, I am also from MI! (Go Tigers!)

I live between Ann Arbor and Detroit. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 55

pinkbeesugar.. Hows it going today ? And you know I dont know if the bettercreme will freeze solid after its whipped or not I have not tried it ! I dont ever freeze already finished creations ! The bettercreme is awesome as a filling also !

Melvira Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:06pm
post #13 of 55

Man, for some reason when I posted an answer this morning it didn't show up and I didn't realize until I just now popped in! Sorry!

It's perfect for ice cream cakes! YUM! You can freeze it after it's on there. It tastes awesome with ANY flavoring added to it. For fun, you can mess around with adding various flavorings and put them on complimentary flavored cake/cupcakes. I am crazy about lemon cake with lemon flavored bettercreme, or coconut/cocnut. The best is chocolate malt though. It's amazing! I just use the Hershey's Whopper Malt Syrup and it's SO easy. Tastes wonderful!

fiddlesticks Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #14 of 55

HEY MEL So after its on the cake does it then freeze solid enough ? You know how in the carton its still 1/2 frozen! I would like to know my self .

pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 55

I second the GO TIGERS!!!! i was actually at the game on wednesday against Clevland for the big comeback!!!! what a great game that was. I live in lapeer actually, sure you know where that is, but the game did put quite a damper on my baking this week.

Took my cake out of the freezer this morning and into the fridge, I am making the giant cupcake for this shower in stawberry, so I am thinking I might fill the middle with the bettercreme and the outside with Billy's buttercream.

I can't get over how light the bettercreme is, its almost like air. I just love it and now want to fill everything i bake. My DH thinks I am nuts, but I am so thankful for this forum!!!!

Thanks ladies and GO TIGERS!!!!!

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 55

Melvira,
Im in Rhode island...do you know where i can get it?

Can i buy it online?

~Shannon

pinkbeesugar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm
post #17 of 55

i'm pretty sure it's not available online, since its in a semi frozen form sold in a paper milk carton. I did look and wasnt able to find my supplier outside mich, ohio, ill, ind area.

I get mine at gordon foods which here is like a restaurant supply, but open to the public.

you can try walmart or sams, its the whipped icing that they use. Here in michigan they will sell it to you.

I am sure the others will add to this.

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 9:46pm
post #18 of 55

oh... sams has it in a tub in the back of the store next to the bakery. I will have to try it. I love that stuff...cant wait to make an ice cream cake!!!

~Shannon

Melvira Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:12am
post #19 of 55

No, it does not freeze solid. Not in my experience anyway.

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:55am
post #20 of 55

Ok, good to know for future ideas !

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #21 of 55

Hi to my neighbors! I am in MI also ( right by metro airport)

Bettercreme is so good! It is all I use now, I have mixed it with jam, chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, I was in a pinch for some chocolate mousse(sp) and I added some powdered nesquick to it, it was so good! (and it passed for mousse!)

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:47am
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw902

Hi to my neighbors! I am in MI also ( right by metro airport)

Bettercreme is so good! It is all I use now, I have mixed it with jam, chocolate syrup, strawberry syrup, I was in a pinch for some chocolate mousse(sp) and I added some powdered nesquick to it, it was so good! (and it passed for mousse!)

You want a super easy mousse?? This ROCKS... put 2 cups of bettercreme in your mixer bowl, add half a cup of milk, and one (4 serving) package of any flavor of pudding, whip until fluffy. (Only takes a minute!) This is so amazingly yummy!!! And it can be used to fill and ice cupcakes or cakes too! Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:55am
post #23 of 55

You probably have a price chopper near you somewhere, That is the only place I have found near here that will sell it to you out of the bakery. Just call and ask for the bakery manager and they have sold it to me at cost. And Hi Neighbor, I am right off 146 in Ma so we aren't too far. LOL.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #24 of 55

i made my grandson a chocolate cake..... used whimsical bakehouse cookies and cream filling.... iced with chocolate bettercream... it tells you to beat on medium speed i think.... the taste was wonderful... and the bettercream iced really smooth ... i made another one useing the white bettercream.... iced up beautifully.... definetely a winner....

hallfamily727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallfamily727 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #25 of 55

Anybody know where I can get it in Iowa? I have a Sam's club here, but they don't have a bakery...just an area where baked goods are sold, but no actual bakery. There's a Walmart, but not a big one. I really want to get this b/c it's the icing most requested in the past when ordering grocery store cakes. HELP!

Acdogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Acdogs Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 3:19am
post #26 of 55

I am very new to this but I just bought some bettercrem and was wondering .. does it hold up in the heat? Can I color it... if I use it on a cake can ithen add fondent decorations?

fiddlesticks Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #27 of 55

I but the bettercreme at GFS ! ( Gordon Food Service )

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:30pm
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acdogs

I am very new to this but I just bought some bettercrem and was wondering .. does it hold up in the heat? Can I color it... if I use it on a cake can ithen add fondent decorations?

Yes, it does hold up in the heat- not for too too long though, in the sense i work with it very comfortably in a hot, restuarant kitchen without worrying that it will go flat on me. Nonetheless, it tastes best when chilled.
You can color it but it takes on light, pastels best.

You could add fondant decorations, but I wonder how that will look? If you have a plan, go for it.

Someone else had asked, does it freeze? YES! I whip a large batch and freeze if I am not going to use it for 1 week, which is what it lasts in the cooler. You can also freeze the liquid in small batches and whip what you need when you need it.

Melvira Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #29 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acdogs

It can stand up to moderate heat, but not excessive. You can add colors with no problem, but it will not make dark or bright colors. You're going to have more pastels and light colors. It is not suggested for use under fondant, maybe if you are just adding a few small details, but not if you are covering the cake.

As for where to get it in Iowa, I get it in Davenport at TPC, not sure where you could find it around Sioux City. I'll have to see if I can figure that out!!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #30 of 55

I live in southern WI, and they sell it at UBake in Janesville. Janesville is about 30 minutes from the WI - Illinois boarder. Will it hold up after it's made sitting out, and for how long?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%