Making A Fire Truck

Decorating By Suewillo Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 7:10pm by AuntTT

Suewillo Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 12

I am going to be making a fire truck for my grandson's b-day and I want to know if anyone has made one were the lights and siren works. Not sure how to go about doing this but know lots of the pro's here will have ideas for me. I also don't know if I should make a sheet cake and cut and stack it in the shape of the fire truck or use a loaf pan. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks for all your help and ideas
Sue

11 replies
briannastreats Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 12

When I did mine (in my photos) I baked a sheet cake and then cut/stacked to build it up. I found that was easier...

Not sure about the working lights and sirens though... haven't tried that yet.

Good luck!

mad11 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 12

If you figure out how to do it let me know. I want to do one for my husband's next fundraiser for the fire department.

Suewillo Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 12

When and if I figure out how to make the lights and siren work I will post how I did it, but if there is anyone who knows how I can do this I would appreciate all the help I can get. I think it would be really cool for my grandson to be able to have a b-day cake that lights up and has a siren sound.
Thanks

bsan Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 12

I'm sure you've watched Ace of Cakes. They use little LED lights. I think they feed the wires through small straws (or something like that). And then they use a foam board base along with their regular board. Cut out a small spot for your switch to sit.
I don't know though - never tried this myself.

Suewillo Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 12

Well I just bought a frie truck with lights and siren and have taken it apart and it still works and my next step is to attach it to styrofoam to put the workings in. It took a long time to take this truck apart because there are so many wires and I kept testing it to make sure it still worked after each step. When it is done I will post a pic. I think the tricky part is going to attach the lights and siren with all the wires hidden in the cake.

Cakepro Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 12

I can't wait to read about your progress!! My dad is a fire chief and has asked me to design a special cake for an upcoming function. I was going to do a 3-D fireman's helmet but a fire truck with actual lights and sirens would be the BOMB!!

bsan Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 12

I would love to see the final product. My son has decided that he wants a fire truck for his birthday. Maybe I'll try something more elaborate than the 3-d pan I was going to use.

cohenandlillysmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 12

When I did my Camaro with working lights I went to a local hobby store and bought lights that were for building little alcohol fueled models. Im not sure if places like hobby lobby have it but this place only specialized in models and such.

As far as wiring, we just ran the wires between the cake and the fondant. The lights ran from the middle to the back and from the middle to the front. We tucked the wire between the cake and board and then just taped the switch to the board.

I cant wait to see the final result!! Good luck!

lecrn Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 12

Yes, please keep us posted on your progress. I have a fire truck order for August, & that would be so cool!
Brianna, your cake looks awesome!

briannastreats Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #11 of 12

Thank lecrn! I actually just got a phonecall tonight, for another fire truck cake... It was so much fun to make...

edited to add... Suewillo, how is your search going? Any luck?

AuntTT Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 12

OK, Suewillow, how did you do all that on the fire truck? I have to make one for my nephew's 6th birthday next week, and yours was so amazing! What did you use to make the flames on the cupcakes? Did you use the actual ladder from a toy fire truck? How did you get it to stay up there? And how did you finally get the lights and sirens to work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%