Icing Tips And Carry On Baggage **cake Camp**

Decorating By Mladyfred Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 5:31am by Mladyfred

Mladyfred Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 4

so.. i need to bring a few tips with me to cake camp.. and I am doing carry on.. they are as follows 2, 4, 13 and 18. I am thinking i am going to try to bring them, but have a friend who is driving bring me backups just in case.

has anyone else flown with icing tips? any pointers?

3 replies
twindees Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 4

When I went to do my sister's baby shower cake I did not have a problen with the icing tips the did have a problen with the colored jels I had to put them in my tagged bag or they were going to get rid of them. Thank God my tagged bag was still at the counter.

lutie Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 4

There are several things you can do... first and foremost, call the airlines and tell them where you are going and what you will be carrying. Ask them to place that information on your ticket information on their computer. Then, remind them at the airline check-in that you have an alert placed on your computer information regarding your cake decorating items you are carrying.

When I cater and am flown to other areas of the country by my clients, I call ahead and tell the airlines about my journey, what I will be carrying, and ask how can they accommodate me... they have been more than kind and helpful... one time, on a trip to Atlanta, Delta took out every item from their refrigerators that did not need to be actually refrigerated (the little liquor bottles were the main thing) to make room for my five cheesecakes I was carting. (In fact, the pilots kept one in the cockpit for "safekeeping" icon_lol.gif to make sure it did not get damaged. They announced it over the p.a. system... must have been a slow day for them!)

The airlines are getting a bum rap by some people... I never have had problems with them, as long as I have alerted them prior to flight. I never trust my things to be put into the baggage compartment. These are your tools of your trade... let them know that it is important to you.

...or... you could make a "decorator tip" necklace... string them on a chain and make it look like a charm bracelet or necklace.

When I am piecing a quilt on my long overseas trips, I have my dental floss in my purse which I use as a "scissors" for my thread, and wear my needles behind a scarf pin with thread hanging from them... never have been stopped and never have had to thread a needle!

Just call them. It will eliminate your stress.

Mladyfred Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:31am
post #4 of 4

In the end, I called do it with icing and they are going to have the tips at the cake camp for me. its only four tips, so its not like I am breaking the bank.. and less stressful then not having the tips on me when I arrive at camp!

Quote by @%username% on %date%