What Would You Do? Please Help.

Decorating By harrisonsmama Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm by -K8memphis

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 8

So, a client called two months ago requesting a buttercream cake with gold filigree and rubies. She has mentioned about 10 times that there is to be no fondant on the cake what-so-ever. She even called yesterday to give me the final head coutn and told my employee to write me a not saying "NO FONDANT" IN CAPITAL LETTERS- SHE ACTUALLY SAID THAT. Each time I have talked with her I have voiced my concerns and now it is the eleventh hour and I am panicking. I have added gold luster dust to piping gel and it looks more of a caramel color than gold. I am worried that if I pipe the filigree pattern in royal icing and then paint it gold the humidity here will make royal icing slide right off of the cake. I use french buttercream so it does not crust, so I can't pipe the pattern in buttercream and then paint that gold. What should I do? Should I call her and explain my dilemma? Do I just pipe the filigree in buttercream and accent the cake with white chocopan pearls and paint them gold and add a gold bow on top to incorporate the gold into the cake? I k now I make beautiful and delicious cakes but I rarely work in buttercream with out fondant and feel overwhelemed and in experienced. Please help

7 replies
harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 8

anyone?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 8

what if you made a batch of plain old decorators buttercream then painted that, you could still use the french buttercream and just do the piping with the decorators or american bc it might give you the edge you need.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 8

Ok as usual I cna't find this book I want but just do like Peg said and just pipe then paint the regular buttercream scrolls or filigree with the gold mixed with some kind of alcohol, lemon or almond or everclear, vodka whatever.

If they're not dark enough, do a second coat.

The caramel-ness is from the kind of gold you have. You do have some left doncha?

I mean that piping gel thing makes a real small amount which like I said I can't find the book but it looks like for real gold. I'm sure it's here somewhere...brb

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:21am
post #5 of 8

This is from Nick Lodge's Sugarcraft book:

2 teaspoons 10X sugar
2 teaspoons luster dust
clear alcohol (gin or vodka or lemon extract)
1 teaspoon piping gel

Mix the sugar and luster dust.
Add a few drops of alcohol and mix to make a stiff paste.
Add piping gel, a little at a time, until a piping consistency is reached.

Another method I have read about, is to mix the luster with a little canola oil. I would say one container to maybe a teaspoon or two of oil, and brush the inside of the piping bag with the mixture, then fill with buttercream and pipe as usual.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:13am
post #6 of 8

THere's a product that I have used ... it's basically "spray paint in a can" but it's not the wilton brand. I have the gold and the pearl. It's $10/an and the can is only about 5" tall. I can't recall the name and the cans are at the shop, but I heard about it here on CC. It's pretty pricey, but omg I just LUV it!!

Can anyone help with the name? I think it's a 3-letter name, like PF-something? icon_confused.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 8

Debi, it's PME! I love that stuff!! You can get it online at GlobalSugarArt or CountryKitchens. I used it on piped RI here - (I let the RI dry first, sprayed, then applied to cake) http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1209442

and chocolate here http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1217359

-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 8

Oh wow--that formula is from Nick Lodge's the International School of Sugar (book 3) Craft New Skills and Techniques, page 187.

So you doing any better?

Have you tried practicing? Splash some french bc on the counter top, pipe some decorator bc scrolls then paint it?? You will feel much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%