Fruit In Cake Batter.....

Decorating By MissChrissy Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm by Mike1394

MissChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissChrissy Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 11

Hi I am making a WASC cake with fresh strawberries in the batter. Do I have to coat the berries in powdered sugar before I put them in the batter???

10 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 11

Hi MissChrissy!
We'll I've never added fruit to a WASC recipe, but I did add fresh strawberries to another recipe, and it just called for them to be put in like they were. My were "mashed up", so I don't know if that would be a difference.

ANyway, it makes a delicious strawberry cake! Good luck, and HTH!

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 11

Hey there!
I make a fresh strawberry that everyone dies over (i don't get it-but who am i)
Anyway, I use a DH white mix, and add strawberries that have been diced and tossed in sugar (strawberry shortcake style)-let it weep (does not take too long)
Spray or coat your pan (whatever method you use) and line the bottom with either parchment or wax paper-works the same.
Bake just a touch longer than you normally would...the strawberries will gather towards the bottom, but not to fear, just let it cool, and they will "set up".
It's a great cake, especially when filled with a cream cheese filling!
Good Luck and happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

kakelady00009 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 11

ooh ooh I forgot to add, that the paper will be on the cake, so after it is cooled, just pull off!!
Sorry I didn't want you to think I leave the paper on!! LOL icon_lol.gif

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 11

I use a lot of fresh fruit in my cakes. No need to coat them in p.s. Make sure your pieces are not too large. When removing & handling take extra caution all those moist pieces make your check a little less stable icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakelady00009

Hey there!
I make a fresh strawberry that everyone dies over (i don't get it-but who am i)
Anyway, I use a DH white mix, and add strawberries that have been diced and tossed in sugar (strawberry shortcake style)-let it weep (does not take too long)
Spray or coat your pan (whatever method you use) and line the bottom with either parchment or wax paper-works the same.
Bake just a touch longer than you normally would...the strawberries will gather towards the bottom, but not to fear, just let it cool, and they will "set up".
It's a great cake, especially when filled with a cream cheese filling!
Good Luck and happy baking! icon_biggrin.gif

have you ever let them weep and the used the juices in making the batter?

kakelady00009 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 11

Yes...sorry I didn't say that, I always pour a little juice in...no problems!

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 11

Now you've got my attention. I love tips on fruit batter it's my fav. icon_biggrin.gif

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 11

I do the same thing. I make WASC and dice strawberries up, I do not put them in sugar and I actually beat them into the batter to get the juices diffused through the batter better. I bake as normal and people love it. Just again make sure that they pieces are tiny, if they are too big it will create mushy pockets where the big pieces are.

I often fill this with strawberry buttercream. same thing use my standard buttercream recipe and mix in bits of strayberry into the BC until the mixture starts to turn pink, I use that for my filling.

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 11

i would toss my strawbs in a little plain flour first, this absorbs moisture as they cook

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 11

To make them "weep" do you hollar, and cuss them out first? hehehehe

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%