Hobby Lobby Or Michael's?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm by pmaucher

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 12

I don't have any cake supply stores in my area, but will be visiting a city tomorrow and would like to look for some supplies while there. I want to look for things like red food color, fondant tools, impression mats, etc... I know there are Michael's and Hobby Lobbys in the area. Which one is a better bet?

Any other suggestions for picking up cake decorating supplies in the Memphis area?

TIA!

11 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 12

in my experience, micheal has more things than hobby lobby. the two hobby lobby stores by me have one aisle w/not a whole lot of cake stuff.

shellzey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellzey Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 12

check the hobby lobby website and see if they have their printable coupon. or if you go to michael's and they are running their 40% off one item you can tell them you are not from the area and do not get their flyer and they should honor the coupon even though you don't have one

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 12

Micheal's has everything you need

I haven't been to Hobby Lobby yet....I think I might go today to check it out though...

But I'm pretty sure you'll find what you need at either one. icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 12

Definitely Michaels. I'm usually always disappointed in Hobby Lobby.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks all! Looking at a map, there is a Michael's pretty close to where we'll be going so this works out well. icon_biggrin.gif

I am such a dork, right now I am more excited about looking at cake stuff than our fun family day we hae planned. Bad mom.. bad, bad mom!

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:41pm
post #7 of 12

If you have it available, I've discovered that AC Moore has a better selection than Michael's.

We don't have a HL, so I'm no help there.

WILCOX2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WILCOX2005 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 12

just to throw another store to look at for you joann fabrics they to have cake stuff.

gdsloane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdsloane Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 12

I have Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and Joann's all within 10 min of each other. HL- has a teensy amount of items. Mic-has more and I go to JoAnn's when Michael's is out of something. I would suggest to you since
you don't have a store near you is to shop online. There are many and I mean many stores online. If you're not in a pinch for something. Even though these stores are good for some things they pale in comparison to an actual cake supply store. HTH

WILCOX2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WILCOX2005 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 12

lucky you to have a family day planned. Hope that it is everything you want hope and need it to be. The time is special and as the kids in the family gets older it is harder to get everyone together to have that special time.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 12

In Houston, Texas, Michaels carries a whole lot more cake decorating supplies than Hobby Lobby... I don't know if they are the same from state to state.

pmaucher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmaucher Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 12

I'm in Pa (Sesame Place area), so we dont have a hobby lobby. We do have a Michaels, AC Moore and Joannes. I have found Joannes is more expensive but a good size selection. Michaels and AC Moore is equal in price, with a some things cheaper at Michaels. Recently, Micheals has enlarged their selection and is now carrying more items than AC Moore. Fortunately for me, both stores are next store to each other (very odd), so I go in both then go to Joannes down the street.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%