Dessert Business Questioin

Business By mom23boys Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm by JoAnnB

mom23boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23boys Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone...I"m new to this forum and I had a question...
I'm starting up my own dessert business-cookies, pies, bars, breads..but an emphasis on custom cakes. I know that everyone uses different pricing matrixes (I've downloaded a few) for their custom cakes, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with prices for other items like pies, bars, scones etc. I've tried calling around to find out what bakeries sell their items for, but most of them said that they do them by weight. Any suggestions?
I'm up for any tips that you guys can give me regarding any nuance of the dessert/cake business.
Thanks!!

1 reply
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 2

Welcome to Cake Central. Is your new business licensed/legal? Some states do not allow the sale of home-baked goods.

As for pricing, the starting place can be the cost of ingredients x 3 or 4, then compare it to what can be purchased 'ready to eat'

For example, my grocer has top quality organic fruit pies, frozen and ready to bake. I would have to set my price in the same general neigborhood to be competitive.

Depending on where you live, some people do not attach the same value to custom made desserts/cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%