Gumpaste Or Ri - Which Would You Do???

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm by Sugarflowers

butterflywings Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making goal posts (just small ones, about 3-4 inches high) for my football cake. If it were you, would you make them out of gumpaste or royal icing? I don't have to put them on/in the cake until tomorrow evening at the party. Would it be better to just tint some gumpaste yellow and use a skewer to start the bottom post then form the uprights? Or do you think making them out of royal icing with a LOONG center post that would go down into the cake would work? I can do either though I kind of hate to make up a whole batch or RI for six goal posts. ButI do have a dehydrator to speed up drying if I go with gumpaste. I'm just unsure which would be better. What would you do???

TIA!

6 replies
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 7

My vote is for GP ( I just love that stuff icon_smile.gif )

I hate making RI for just a little bit of detailing icon_sad.gif

sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 7

both royal and gumpaste will soften if you are sticking it into BC. the gumpaset will soften and they will break at the insertion line. Royal might do the same thing.

I would not do royal as it is too fragile.

I would either use gumpaste or fondant with tylose and dip the ends that will be going down into the cake, touching BC, with white choc to coat them and protect it

( been there) HTH

wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 7

BUT... she could stick a hot wire at the bottom of the "posts" and stick that in a coffee stirer.... icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 7

You are both AWESOME! Obviously, I was leaning toward the gumpaste idea more. I was thinking the Ri would be too fragile. I think I'm going to use Christi's idea to use wire and coffee stirrers (mainly because I actually have both of these on hand and won't have to go out - white chocolate would cause a run to the store).

Thank you ladies!! I will be posting pics once it is all done!

sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 7

excellent solution Ms. Goat!

Sugarflowers Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

BUT... she could stick a hot wire at the bottom of the "posts" and stick that in a coffee stirer.... icon_smile.gif

This is a really good idea. Thanks!

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%