Chocolate Smbc .. Need To Be Able To Ice With It :(

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 12

I have used JKalmans recipe.. and think it tastes heavenly BUT... like she told me she just basically uses it to FILL the cakes.. not ice..

What SMBC Chocolate recipe can I use to ICE the cake with?

Jeanne luv ya girl but I can't have my reverse shells falling off.. one by one by one LOL icon_wink.gif

icon_smile.gif

11 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 12

Excellent idea! I love ganache but it is expensive and I never have whipping cream just sitting around. icon_wink.gif

And that chocolate cake I iced....a nightmare (but I didn't use Jkalman's for that either).

I wonder about subbing a 1/2 c. shortening for 1 stick of butter. I think dailey does that. Maybe it will firm it up?

Or maybe a small batch of ganache mixed with SMBC. Would the milk cause it to separate?

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 12

As a result of not making enough whipped ganache to frost a cake, I wound up mixing it up into some buttercream (the recipe with the salted butter and i used an extra stick of butter) and it turned out fabulous. it's not real dark but it's delicious and fluffy. Frosted the cake beautifully. icon_biggrin.gif

aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 12

I was just doing some googling and found that IMBC is more stable than SMBC. Maybe you should try IMBC and see if that works better?

Also Martha Stewart reduces her sugar by 1 cup (started with 1 1/4 cup) and adds 8 oz. melted and cooled bittersweet chocolate.

wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 12

icon_smile.gif I make a chocolate truffle filling that I usually mix in with my BC to make chocolate.. but they wanted SMBC chocolate style.. Doubt though that they would know that IMBC isn't SMBC though would they? icon_rolleyes.gif LOL

aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

icon_smile.gif I make a chocolate truffle filling that I usually mix in with my BC to make chocolate.. but they wanted SMBC chocolate style.. Doubt though that they would know that IMBC isn't SMBC though would they? icon_rolleyes.gif LOL

Considering the only difference is the cooking style I think you'd fool them! If it works, let us know please!

Thanks!

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 12

I am so glad ya'll are talking about this today. I have to go home tonight and make a whipped ganache filling and I had wondered about mixing in a little BC and how it would taste. I can't wait to try it. Does it help it to stay a little more softer consistency? I have used the whipped ganache before for filling and after it is refrigerated it gets so hard and seems to take awhile to soften.

aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayadesigns

I am so glad ya'll are talking about this today. I have to go home tonight and make a whipped ganache filling and I had wondered about mixing in a little BC and how it would taste. I can't wait to try it. Does it help it to stay a little more softer consistency? I have used the whipped ganache before for filling and after it is refrigerated it gets so hard and seems to take awhile to soften.

Actually whipped ganache doesn't need refrigerated. It's very stable at RT. (at least that's what Collete Peters says icon_wink.gif )

wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #9 of 12

I have always used the truffle filling in my BC .... the truffle filling doesn't get hard as a rock.. but I could scoop balls of it out and dust it with cocoa and have wonderful truffles YUMMM... oops that's another topic.... this will mix in and not make it runny at all.. a wonderful consistency icon_smile.gif

But I can't mix it in my SMBC though ...

I also have not tried to sub any of the butter with shortening either... how does that work?

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:

Actually whipped ganache doesn't need refrigerated. It's very stable at RT. (at least that's what Collete Peters says icon_wink.gif )

For how long at RT? Even though it is made with a dairy product?

aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:

For how long at RT? Even though it is made with a dairy product?

Yep. Let's see... The thread I saw from Collete Peters said it can be left out for a week. I thought it was odd until I started thinking about all the ganache covered cakes bakeries sell that aren't refrigerated. I think it has something to do with the sugar stabilizing it.

Cristi,

Dailey?? said she uses Smart Balance trans-fat free shortening and subs 1/2 cup for 1 stick butter. I think she does it to mellow out the butter flavor but I don't know why it wouldn't stabilize it a little bit more.

wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 12

It's a sugar to dairy kind of thang... one cancels out any kind of spoilage.. TO a POINT...

I would fridge the ganache after a couple of days though ... but that is my opinion icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%