Help Please, With 1St Attempt At A Stacked Cake

Decorating By ArtieTs Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm by shannycakes321

ArtieTs Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 7

Well CC,

This may not be what you pros call a stacked cake, but to a rookie like me this what I call stacked. I'm making a full sheet cake covered in fondant & plan to also add a smaller round fondant cake on top of it. I have read so many posts about how to stack, dowels (wooden or plastic) vs straws & frankly I'm so confused. My rookie questions is: when I prepare that smaller cake to rest on top of the sheet cake all I need to do is just insert dowels into the sheet cake & place the small one on the dowels? icon_confused.gif I really do apologize for such a silly question but I just picture that cake just crushing the bottom one. I'm sure I'm just over thinking this whole cake, but I'm a goober like that icon_biggrin.gif. Can some please put my nerves at rest & tell me I have this correct & it will work? Thanks again CC for all the help.

6 replies
sugarshack Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 7

yes. I use bubble tea straws cuz they are so sturdy and easy to cut.
cut them just to the height, or just a tad above the top of your cake. the round cake must be on a cake board of some type before you place it on the dowels/straws.

mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 7

you will be just fine and no question is stupid to ask around here!!!

I use the same thing Sugarshack uses.. bubble straws. Make sure your circle cake is on a board and since you are just putting it on top of a sheet cake, and nothing else on top, you might even think of using regular drinking straws, which I have used before when not stacking a lot of cake. Just cut the straws to the top of the cake and go for it!!!

You will be fine!! Post a picture when you're done

cathyscakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 7

I have never used the bubble tea straws, but you have intrigued me. A simpler way to cut would be wonderful. Are they as sturdy as dowels, how much weight could be stacked on them?

FATLADYSCAKES Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 7

ArtieTs Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

Wow! Thanks Sugar Shack for the quick response, I really appreciate it thumbs_up.gif . I'm going to order those straws right now, they just seem alot easier to deal with & as long as they are sturdy that will work for me. The closer I get to having to do this cake my more my stomach hurts. I know I can do it, I'm just picturing myself in tears soon as I hit the first bump in the road. I can't wait until this is done & I can post pictures so I can get some feedback.

shannycakes321 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 7

My exact question answered! I am constructing the same style MMF covered cake (sheet +round) AND including a fondant piece on top of the round one, and I also had horrible visions of the top layer slowly sinking into the bottom. Thanks for asking this and to all of you folks with the experience to answer it!
I think I will use dowels (plastic?) instead of straws for max strength. Thanks for the reminder about a cake board under the round layer that goes on top of the dowels, I almost forgot about that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%