Problems With Sides Of Fondant-Covered Cakes...

Decorating By sgauta Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm by sgauta

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 12

I feel like this is going to be hard to describe but hopefully someone will know what I'm talking about!! icon_biggrin.gif

I've made a lot of fondant stacked cakes but I'm never satisfied with how rounded each cake looks on the edges. I would like to see a more defined edge and straighter sides, if that makes any sense. Do you think the fondant being too think might be the problem? Any suggestions on how to achieve a neater, more professional look when it comes to the edges/sides of fondant-covered tiers? I've tried doing a lot of smoothing but if I do it too much/too hard the buttercream starts to ooze out the bottom and/or the fondant tears.

I also have problems with my tiers looking bulge-y in the middle - you can almost see the line going all the way around the cakes where the layers meet and are filled with buttercream. Any tips on how to correct this? I'm thinking maybe, again, the fondant is too thick and heavy and it's making my cakes "sink" a bit. I've even heard Duff mention this on 'Ace of Cakes' but he didn't mention how to avoid it! The cake recipes I use came from this site and are supposedly of a more dense variety to best support fondant's weight.

I've attached a picture of one of my cakes so you can hopefully see what I'm talking about (it might be kind of hard so look closely!).

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! My sister-in-law has asked me to do her wedding cake and I want to do a great job. Thanks so much!!

Sarah
LL

11 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 12

did you let your cake settle after filling? maybe that causes it. o

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 12

I have the same problems...... any help out there?

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 12

Hi Sarah,

I am by no means an expert, but if you have time before the wedding cake, I strongly recommend Sugarshack's Flawless Fondant DVD. I just got it (I have my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks) and it shows how to avoid all the problems you mentioned. Sharon shows how to trim the sides after filling the cake and letting it settle to get rid of the bulgey look on the sides and how to use two fondant smoothers to get a sharp top edge. It is worth every penny!

HTH.

Lara

sgauta Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the quick response!

What do you mean by "settle" exactly? When I fill my layers I usually push them together pretty firmly. Do I need to let them sit a bit longer? Before I frost them? Room temperature?

Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarah

sgauta Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 12

Awesome Lara, thank you! I will check out the dvd for sure, I have plenty of time.

Sarah

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 12

I can't help with the whole rounded thing, I am still working on that myself but here is something that might help you for the bulging part. This has helped me alot.

http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

Staceface81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staceface81 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 12

I too recommend SugarShack's DVD! It's AWESOME!
And yes, you should let it settle longer than that. I usually let mine settle overnight.
Sharon also shows how to do a filling so that you can avoid the dreaded middle "bulge."
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Sugar_Ed_Productions.html

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 12

You want to let your cakes sit at least for a couple of hours or overnight to let them settle. There's a natural compression that occurs and you can correct it if you give the cake some time to show it.
I have to say Sharon's video is worth every penny, it is very informative and gives you a lot of help to avoid problems like bulging, shows you how to make sharp edges.
As far as the seam showing, your fondant might be too thin on the side by the time you finish all the smoothing.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 12

Ditto to sugarshack's DVD's! I have all 3 it's the best $$ I've spent!!

In her Buttercream DVD she goes into more detail about putting a stiff dam of buttercream in the middle, then filling, and letting the cake settle overnight. She actually puts her cakes into large food safe plastic bags to seal them overnight. I bought some of these and they are great!

Go Sharon!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 12

I roll out my fondant a bit thicker (per Sugarshack's DVD!), and I have not had the bulging problem. I wonder if that's the reason? Sharon also shows in her DVD how to get that "sharp" corner along the top edge of the cake. If your fondant is tearing while being smoothed, it sounds like it may be a bit dry or even too thin perhaps - ?

sgauta Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much, you guys have all been so helpful. I'll be ordering Sharon's dvd for sure! I never knew about the "settling" thing so I'm pretty sure that's a big part of my problem. I'm really excited to get the dvd and try the new techniques!!

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%