Dummy Forgot To Add Almond/vanilla In Wasc...already In Oven

Decorating By kara76 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm by Amy729

kara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara76 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 19

can anything b done once the cakes are baked?? would a simple syrup do anything?

18 replies
kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 19

That's exactly what I'd do... a simple syrup with vanilla and almond.
Good luck!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 19

That's just what I was thinking, flavored simple syrup. Let us know if it works. We have all had that Duh moment, LOL

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 19

I wouldn't ...the simple syrup could alter the texture of the cake(several recent threads stated the ss as a possible culprit to their cake disaster)seems to make it too moist.

The cake is quite flavorful without the added flavorings. If you wish to add flavor to the cake...possibly give it an extra torting or two with thinner layers of icing...distributing the flavor from the icing throughout.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 19

I agree with all4cake. I wouldn't take the chance on ruining the cake.

And I would also tort to add more filling flavor throughout the cake.

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 19

If your cakes consists of 2 - 8" round layers, I wouldn't suggest torting. I tried torting a 8" round WASC cake and it was a disaster. I couldn't stop the layers from slipping from side to side. I'm told that because of the size of the cake (8") that it was too small to tort using this recipe. I won't make that mistake again. Just an F.Y.I.

Bev

jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 19

well, there will be some flavoring due to the cake mixes that you used, it will probably just be a light flavor. I would trim it when it comes out and see what you think of the flavor, then use a kick butt filling that will taste great! I'm sure it will be just fine!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 19

I just made a WASC without either almond or vanilla - hubby hates almond flavour, and I had run out of vanilla and was unable to get more at the time. Turned out fine. Again, you could compensate if you feel you want to by using a great filling and flavoured buttercream.

kara76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kara76 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 19

oh thank you, thank you! i dont feel as bad now.i will let you guys know how it came out. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #10 of 19

I would try it and see what you think.

A simple syrup done correctly will work great but you barely moisten the cake with it. Anybody with issues just use too much.

As for torting... I torte WASC all the time using 8". No issues ever!

beverlyanne Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

As for torting... I torte WASC all the time using 8". No issues ever!

That's good to know!! Aswartzw, how deep are your 8" pans; mine were 1 1/2" and when I inquired with the person that shared the recipe, she indicated that she thought the cake was too small to handle torting. I used a buttercream dam & also filled the layers with a thin layer of buttercream and lemon whipped cream cheese filling.

Bev

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 19

i love using simple syrup...i bet that will help!

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #13 of 19

I torte 8 in rounds all the time. I have even torted 6 in round. The cake will be fine without the flavor, just wont have the almond/vanilla flavor. can easily add to your buttercream icing if you want to still have that flavor. Idid fix a cake the other day that slipped, but I was using a mousse for filling and although I have never dammed this before it is just to hot not to right now. So will damm for now on.

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 19

I would just put the flavors in the filling and icing. Cake mix already has some flavoring. Years ago we never added any flavor to box mixes and now they've improved a lot.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 19

bev

1.5" cakes seem a bit too thin for torting. my cakes are usually 3" high and i tort them in half (so each layer will be 1.5").

no need to tort...just fill and stack

beverlyanne Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 19

Well, I won't be making that torting mistake again. Thanks for all the input.

Bev

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:23pm
post #17 of 19

I actually did the same thing before!! I forgot the vanilla. I did a simple syrup and added vanilla to it and it worked fine!!!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #18 of 19

Bev, I use 2" pans but mine never bakes to 2". (I'm working on fixing that icon_wink.gif ). I have had some super small layers, probably close to 3/4". Sometimes smaller. LOL. The only thing I can think is your dam wasn't stiff enough and/or you used too much filling.

Think about it...cake layers are never too small. Think about actual tortes. Those are some super tiny layers. Sometimes 27 different layers to make 1 normal sized cake. It all comes down to your frosting.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 19

I always tort 6 and 8 inch with the wasc. I have even torted a 4 inch with no problem.

I use 2 inch pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%