All These Buttercreams - Help!

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 7:02am by MMueller

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 46

I have made American buttercream many times. I have tried several different recipes and I know that most of them crust, and they're pretty much extremely sweet (what most people expect with buttercream). My next batch of buttercream will be my first go at Sugarshack's recipe/method.

I have not tried any of the meringue buttercreams, and don't really know much about them - except that they don't crust and aren't as sweet. Can somebody educate me on the differences between SMBC, IMBC and FMBC as far a taste, texture, ease (or lack there-of) of preparation and decorating possibilities are concerned? Any information would be appreciated - I would love to have more options!

45 replies
ThreeDGirlie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 46

Anyone want to take a stab at this? Anyone?

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 46

3D, I'm wondering the same thing. I've never made smbc or imbc, but would like to try it on the next birthday that rolls around. I'm curious about the creamy whipped buttercream. I've not heard anyone mention it. Wonder if it's any good?

Bev

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 46

Oh, and I'm also interested in trying the french buttercream. All I've tried (on decorated cakes) is the Wilton Class Buttercream and Buttercream Dream. I would like to expand a little!

Bev

ThreeDGirlie Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 46

Nobody wants to give this a shot?

How about those that use meringue butercreams... Which one do you use? What do you like about it? And dislike? What kinds of things can you do with decoration and what can't you do?

TIA!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 46

wow that is wonderful info.

thanks so much for sharing.

icon_biggrin.gif

ThreeDGirlie Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 46

Yay, the link-master has appeared, LOL! Thank you, thank you.

(And I drool every time I see your David D. icon - he's even yummier than cake icon_lol.gif )

JanH Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 46

You're both very welcome. icon_smile.gif

Sorry about the edits, but I had to post what I had before MSN closed all my open windows (in response to some error). icon_eek.gif

...can't wait until July 25 for the new X-Files movie! thumbs_up.gif

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 46

5 types of buttercreams-

American (simple) Buttercream- uses 10x sugar and often shortening instead of butter

German (fondant type) contains equal parts butter and fondant, is very smooth, rich and dense

Swiss- made fromSwiss meringue/butter

Italian- made from an Italian meringue/butter

French- made with egg yolks/butter/sugar and is very rich and yellow in color

JanH Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #11 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

German (fondant type) contains equal parts butter and fondant, is very smooth, rich and dense

Do you have any recipes for German fondant?

I've searched and can't find any....just a description. icon_confused.gif
(Although I was able to find recipe for German b/c.)

TIA

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:55am
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDGirlie

Nobody wants to give this a shot?

How about those that use meringue butercreams... Which one do you use? What do you like about it? And dislike? What kinds of things can you do with decoration and what can't you do?

TIA!

I 'm no expert...been at this less than a year...I've tried a couple of shortening-and-butter, and shortening only, and IMBC...my/our preference was IMBC(it was for my daughter's wedding cakes)
Was real nervous the first time I made it,but by the end it was a breeze(made 3 triple batches for the wedding)
It"s VERY rich...a pound of butter per batch,and less sweet(1 1/4 cups of sugar per)....it doesn't crust,but I used it to fill and generously(thickly) crumb coat...put in the fridge to set up...worked well.
Can't help with the decorations part...mine were fondant and fondant/gumpaste
HTH

Bijoudelanuit Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:29am
post #13 of 46

There isn't a recipe for German as it's just a 1:1 ratio of fondant and butter plus flavoring to reach the desired taste. If you want 2 pounds of German buttercream you would mix 1 pound of butter with 1 pound of fondant and add your flavoring.

JanH Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:02am
post #14 of 46
Quote:

There isn't a recipe for German as it's just a 1:1 ratio of fondant and butter plus flavoring to reach the desired taste.

What recipe/s do you recommend for the fondant, there are different types, cooked & uncooked.

It would seem that an uncooked fondant (MMF) mixed with an equal amount of butter would disintegrate....

Quote:

If you want 2 pounds of German buttercream

This is the info I have on German b/c (cooked custard, either flour or egg which is then added to butter):
(But this is not fondant-like.)

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/professional-pastry-chefs-forum/4114-help-whats-cream-bavarian.html

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cda/article_print/0,1983,DIY_14000_2273794_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/p/612467/5048479.aspx

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-384243-.html

Here are some highly rated recipes:

http://www.recipezaar.com/42282

http://www.recipezaar.com/3730

TIA

Bijoudelanuit Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #15 of 46

The only recipe link you posted that I'm familiar with is the flour frosting... one bakery I worked in ocassionally used it when someone didn't want a really sweet frosting or whipped cream. I personally have a super sweet tooth so it's not my preferred icing.

The German fondant type is based on poured fondant that has been cooked, not rolled fondant. The formula we used in class was 6 lbs sugar, 1 lb 8 oz water, 1 lb 2 oz glucose. Moisten a marble slab with water, set up steel bars to frame it. Bring the sugar and water to a boil cook to 225 degrees. Stir in warmed glucose and continue to boil the syrup until it reaches 240. Pour out onto the marble and sprinkle with water, allow to cool to 110 degrees. At that temperature you start turning it from the edges, scraping under and folding with a bench scraper. Once it begins to turn white and solidifies a bit it can be put in a mixer with a paddle until it cools.

I've never heard of the pastry cream/German type.. but I bookmarked a couple of the links you gave... It sounds wonderful!

JanH Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:09am
post #16 of 46

Ahhh, poured fondant.... I never thought of that. icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks so much for clarifying, and for sharing your recipe. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

It's always great to have more frosting choices. judge.gifparty.gif

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:51am
post #17 of 46

i really like the buttercream dream (i actually made this by accident and added an extra stick of butter). the salt, for me, really balanced that sometimes too sweet buttercream flavor. I have made italian meringue buttercream, but I don't think i put enough flavoring/extract in it- it tasted too much like buttery sugar (i know that sounds ridiculous since that's what it is, but I have read on some of the threads that you need to add a significant amount of flavoring). icon_smile.gif I always enjoy a whipped ganache too, they are always so yummy! icon_smile.gif

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:39am
post #18 of 46

Love it, I need to look into all of those links.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 5:23am
post #19 of 46

JanH, you forgot this great thread "IMBC Photos for Inspiration" - it's all about decorating with IMBC and has great tips on how to get it smooth from ShirleyW and Antonia74. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=0

Sheesh, slacker.

icon_lol.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:06pm
post #20 of 46

Does the hot liquid pasturize the egg whites in IMBC?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:

I've never heard of the pastry cream/German type.. but I bookmarked a couple of the links you gave... It sounds wonderful!

Yes another type of "german" buttercream is cooled pastry cream whipped with butter (also called a creme mousseline). I'll post exact measurements later. My favorite mousseline is made with hazelnut paste and is used as the filling in a traditional paris brest pastry (YUMMMMM)!

ceshell Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:14pm
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

Does the hot liquid pasturize the egg whites in IMBC?

Some say yes (as in, that's the whole point of heating it to 24icon_cool.gif, some say no. I don't take any chances; when I make IMBC I use pasteurized whites.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 7:10pm
post #23 of 46

Ceshell........thank you. That always makes me nervous, because it is mostly kids that eat my cake. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:40am
post #24 of 46

My German Buttercream uses confectioner's sugar, butter, high-ratio shortening, cooled pastry cream and vanilla. Obviously, it can be flavored any number of ways, but this is the base.

Because of the pastry cream in the buttercream, I have always told customers to keep the cake refrigerated. Although I have never had anyone become ill from it, I have wondered from time to time if I should stop using it altogether, just in case someone would forget to refrigerate the cake.

Does anyone else have much experience with this icing? Am I wrong to think it needs to stay in the refrigerator? icon_confused.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:29am
post #25 of 46

JanH you always know so much. I love smart people.

ceshell Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 7:53am
post #26 of 46

egad Bethkay, that sounds positively amazing...pasty cream buttercream! Yum! Due to the pastry cream I think you are correct to require that it be kept refrigerated. I don't think you should discontinue it "in case" they don't remember to refrigerate. As long as you tell them it needs to stay in the fridge, they will keep it there. Just like cakes with whipped cream toppings, custard filling, etc. Of course it wouldn't hurt to have a backup plan for cakes that you know simply won't be able to be refrigerated. But...did I say...yum!

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:19am
post #27 of 46

This is a great thread. I want to expand my icing varieties as well. Thanks everyone!

cecerika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecerika Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 3:00pm
post #28 of 46

Sorry I have nothing to add, but the only way I know to save this info in to post a reply, then I comes up through my email. Sorry, computer idiot here!!!

ceshell Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #29 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecerika

Sorry I have nothing to add, but the only way I know to save this info in to post a reply, then I comes up through my email. Sorry, computer idiot here!!!

You can also click the text under the last message of the page, which reads: "Watch this topic for replies" and that will save the thread into your Watched Topics list (see that pink bar above the thread title, which starts with Search and ends with Calendar?) Then not only can you always find it in your Watched Topics but you also get notifications if someone posts a response on the thread thumbs_up.gif

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #30 of 46

hi,
i am new to cake central and new to the whole forum concept, so please forgive me if i do this wrong!
i do not like the texture of the american buttercreams and i avoid italian meringue buttercream because the heat of the syrup does not render the raw eggs safe (too much of the heat is absorbed by the bowl). i love swiss meringue buttercream for both it's wonderful taste and the fact that is both an elegant and safe buttercream. it is never overly sweet and both kids and adults love it. it easily accepts flavoring. i use a candy thermometer to make sure the eggs and sugar reach 140 degrees before you begin whipping them (place the eggs and sugar in your metal mixing bowl placed in simmering water). the only downside is that it usually is not stiff enough to make flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%