Best Way To Do Samples

Decorating By Lenette Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 1:08pm by misha35

Lenette Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:56am
post #1 of 9

I am doing a small bridal event at the local mall. They have asked that I provide samples. Now the first issue is that 95% of the people coming up and wanting to taste are not going to be good prospects for me. They just want to try free cake.

I have decided I need to set a limit to how many I will bring per day and keep it super simple. I am doing all vanilla sheet cakes. I was thinking cut it into squares and top with a dollop of bc in the little 2 oz. sample cups with lids. Will that work to keep it all relatively fresh? Are there any other suggestions on this? I just can't see slicing off cake all day.

If anyone has ANY ideas on how to make this a success I would appreciate it.

icon_smile.gif

8 replies
aa053103 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 9

An idea to limiting how many samples should be given out is maybe having the bride-to-be or family member have them fill out information on a card. Maybe do a raffle or $50 off a cake order that way you get them to come to your table. Once they fill out the card, then ffer them a sample. Just an idea.

lovetofrost Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 9

I haven't done this yet. But I am planning on being a vendor for a bridal show in September and was planning on making the cake the day before and slicing it that morning before the show and putting them into the sample cups that way they won't get too dry. I was planning on doing 1-1.5 inch pieces. Hope this helps, i am interested in seeing other ideas though.

zolacakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 9

Hello. I've done a few bridal shows and one mall event and I always make sheet cakes and cut them the day before. I put them in small sample cups (cupcake liners for mini cupcakes work well). I usually have a variety for them to choose from. I'll do white cake but fill half of it with a thin layer of raspberry filling. I also have plain chocolate and then chocolate with filling, etc. I place the samples on a tiered cake stand and have the rest of the samples in a plastic container and I refill the stand as needed.
As for limiting people taking samples....I figure the samples are bite size so I really didn't spend alot on them and I have gotten alot of cake orders, other than wedding cakes, birthday, office parties etc. from people who say they have tried my cake.
My biggest problem is making too many samples. I always tend to over do it icon_rolleyes.gif
Anyway, I hope this helped and best of luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

zolacakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:36pm
post #5 of 9

Here is a photo of me and Sage, my daughter, at a bridal show in the Hilton.
LL

Lenette Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone!

This is not a traditional bridal show, well not like the others I have been to, those have been targeted specifically to brides. This is at the mall and I believe the other vendors are just setting their displays up and leaving. I will likely spend some time there but because it is a 4 day event I am only taking maybe 100 samples a day. You can't really say no so who ever comes up and wants a sample will get one. When it's gone, it's gone.

I am hoping I will get other cakes and some good exposure from this. I just have limited resources so I need everything I can to get to folks who will buy. honestly, with the economy around here that pool is shrinking.

I am trying to get myself together for this but am not sure that I should go all out because of the location. Since my displays will be there and I can't be there all open hours I am concerned about damages. We all know how people are. I will certainly keep the sugar flowers to a minimum since those break easily.

I was hoping to have some kind offer to entice them but not too generous as any Joe will come up and try to get it, wedding or not. Am I being weird?

icon_confused.gif

mlharvell Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #7 of 9

If you're looking to keep it simple, I would do mini cupcakes.

zolacakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 9

When I set up a table at a local mall, it was in "The BON TON" store itself. I set some samples on the table and thankfully the woman who worked in the department, I believe it was housewares, said I could go and she would refill the samples as needed. So I left the plastic container with samples, put stacks of my business cards on the table and left. My brochures were also there for info.
And no.....you're not being wierd..... hat1.gif

misha35 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:08pm
post #9 of 9

I went to a street fair a few weeks ago & loved the business cards that had a picture of their wares on it - helped me remember what they were selling & how to get a hold of them. do you have anything like business cards or pamphlets for them to take?
Will you stand out in one way or another & will the potential customers see you as a viable baker for their birthday, office part, wedding, whatever areas you specialize in?

I know some people on here give a 10% discount for referrals... if they mention they saw you at the mall, you give a discount off the order.

I like how zolacakes does hers "I usually have a variety for them to choose from. I'll do white cake but fill half of it with a thin layer of raspberry filling. I also have plain chocolate and then chocolate with filling, etc. I place the samples on a tiered cake stand and have the rest of the samples in a plastic container and I refill the stand as needed. " Gives them a real taste of your ability.

If you are only taking a small amount of samples, I would work out a plan to hand them out over the day while you are there & resist the urge to hand them all out at the start. I also kinda like the idea of handing out samples with a filled out info card. you could ask for birth dates & send happy birthday postcard reminders that happen to mention you sell cakes. In this economy, I'd work on building that repeat customer base for all of their life events.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%