La Girolle Ruffler...anyone Used It? Also Cigarellos?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm by Jopalis

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 10

Hello. Has anyone use the La Girolle Ruffler like Shirley (that used to be on here) used on a number of her cakes? Is it hard to use? It is $75 at Beryls but $40 at Kitchen Kraft (Craft?).... I think it is the same thing. It makes really pretty chocolate ruffles for cakes. You also have to buy the chocolate roullette or chocolate roll. It's all rather pricy but I make a lot of chocolate covered cakes and I think it is really pretty.

Also do folks make those chocolate cigarellos or buy them....?

Jo

P.S. Here's a link to a tutorial on the ruffler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cakeicer/2408176905/

9 replies
Jopalis Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 10

Never got any answers to this... Wondering if I should ask Santa for one... Anybody? How hard to use? Can you make your own chocolate disk? One seller has a mold to make the disk.... They appear to come in marble, wood and plastic... Thanks.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 10

I wish I could help, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread - I had never seen one of those and I'd love to know if it's worth the money - I do love chocolate!!

Jopalis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:01am
post #4 of 10

This site on e-bay sells the chocolate disk and a cutter for $67... I want to know if it is easy to do or not and if this cutter is any good? Please someone!!! Pretty please..........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Choco-rolles-Swiss-Made-Chocolate-WITH-Girolle-FRESH_W0QQitemZ140274152167QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

MJ... look at Shirley W's cake pictures. There are some lovely ruffled ones. I think a marbled ruffle on ganache would be so beautiful....

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:01am
post #5 of 10

Hi, I just wanted to let you know about my experience. I got one for Christmas last year. I have used it once... icon_redface.gif

I bought the rolls from the same person on eBay and the tool from KK's. My rolls came in broke and they have a expiration date- a short one. They are also kinda small or at least mine was.

I would love to use them, I think they are really cool, but broken..it just doesn't work. Also, is seems to make ridges, not smooth rolls. I think it just may be me or the roll, I am just not sure.

All in all, I think it is a cool thing, just needs some practice. I also think I need a different roll. Anyway...good luck!! If you get one, let me know any pointers- I could use them!!! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:12am
post #6 of 10

I have a La Girolle and like it a lot. The chocolate disks are pricey, and I haven't sold a lot of cakes with the ruffles. But it's a cool product and nice to have.

Jopalis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:19am
post #7 of 10

Can you look at the e-Bay one listed above and let me know what you think? Please. The blade is plastic. At least one manufacturer told me you can make your own chocolate disks and that they provide a mold. If it going to sit in the cupboard and I am going to get frustrated using it, I will pass. I just love how Shirley's cakes look with it.... I also don't know if I would want to spend that much for the chocolate disk. I guess if it was a once in a while thing for someone who was either paying for it or a special occasion then maybe.....

Couldn't your return the one that came broken?

Thanks Leah...you always give me good advice! I got my 2" high Magic Lines after your advice... thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 10

Mine is all metal. I don't know that I'd trust the plastic one. And I wouldn't pay full price for a plastic model. And that is full price. I got mine from Albert Uster.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 10

I have one and made my own disk. Honestly though, if you buy really good chocolate to make your own you might as well order the rolls. I spent over $20 on the chocolate and had problems with the chocolate breaking instead of ruffling. There is a picture of a cheesecake I topped with ruffles in my photos. I think if I had order the roll, I could have topped a few cakes and it would have been easier.
I know ShirleyW ordered hers through Marque Foods. They had stopped carrying them but were looking for another source. They also carry the cigarellos. I haven't checked their site in awhile.

Jodie

Jopalis Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:18pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much for the replies. Kitchen Krafts also sells a Girolle cutter for less than Beryls... Now I just have to find out where I can get the rolls for not too pricey....but good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%