Business Cards

Business By chelley325 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:29pm by MichelleM77

chelley325 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 29

I am having my sister design my first set of business cards (she is a graphic designer). We disagree on one point - I would like to put a tag line of sorts (i.e. "custom designed cakes for blah blah blah), but she doesn't believe a business cards should have or needs a tagline.

Thoughts?

What all is included on your business cards?

28 replies
KoryAK Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #2 of 29

I have a tagline and therefore it is on my business cards (and everywhere else) as well. But I wouldn't make one up just to use there.

MichelleM77 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 29

Tag line on my first cards (custom sugar cookie favors, desserts, and gifts), but new cards have my new logo and no room for a tag line, don't think I want it there anyway with the new logo. I think it's just personal preference, no right or wrong.

indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #4 of 29

I had a marketing guy design my new card (attached below). Disregard the 2nd page ... that pic has been deleted and the backside of my card is now a map to the shop, along with the list of things we offer.

But it has a tagline (You Don't Have to Cater It Expensive, You Can ..... Cater It Simple) and my "Banna" nickname.

When you use both sides of the card, then you can get more info on the same card without having that cluttered look.

When your card is dumped on the kitchen table out the bag of goodies that a bride picked up at a bridal show, you want something that will stand out ... so NO BLACK AND WHITE BIZ CARDS!!

BTW, these 2-sided, color-with-pic cards are cheaper for me than what I was paying for the low-quality-paper, black and white cards I used to have. My guy works long-distance, so if anyone wants his name, PM me.

And because I'm not well versed in what exactly a graphic designer is or does specifically ..... please excuse my ignorance and educate me .... does she just do graphics or is she a marketer? It's one thing to have a nice and pretty card ... it's another to have a card that send the right message along with the pretty graphics. I just know that the guy who designs my cards is a marketing expert ... he subcontracts the actual "brick-n-mortar" part of the card design to a grahic designer. But his graphic designer doesn't know what to put on the card until he gets the direction from the marketer ... but he's good at getting it all to fit.

(I have a photographer friend who has so much stuff on her card that you can't tell what it is that she does! She said "My dad told me I could just make my cards myself." I said, "Does your dad run a business or know anything about sales and marketing? Then why are you taking advice from him?" And I sent my biz card guy over to talk to her.)

Sorry this ran so long, but the response to my cards since I changed it has been tremendous!! So now I notice bad business cards ... even my 15-yr old points out biz cards to me as "Mom, this is a throw-away card ... there's nothing here to make me want to keep it.... give this to Your Guy to fix it!"

bakinccc Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:43am
post #5 of 29

I think it depends on your business. If you do all sorts of sweets...cookies, cakes, etc and your name says it all like 'sweet something' I don't think you need it. But I only make cookies and only frosted sugar cookies so my tagline is "Frosted sugar cookies for any occasion!". I really don't want inquiries about chocolate chip cookies and such so I made my tagline very specific. Good luck!

CharmingConfections Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:48am
post #6 of 29

I am a graphic designer and I have to completely disagree with your sister that no business cards need tag lines. How many times have I had to create a business card and thought to myself, "no one is going to even know what this business does!" because there is no tag line, no clue in the name. I understand that some logos & job titles really spell it out and then it may not be necessary, but it's still nice to have that extra information as a consumer. I look at someone's card that says "cake decorator" maybe I'm thinking, so birthday cakes, or wedding cakes? Simple or fancy?
My personal 'Charming Confections' cards have a tag line of "Custom cakes for all occasions". I want people to know that "Confections" in my case means cakes, and I think it says 1) these are CUSTOM, not cookie cutter Walmart cakes, and 2)I can make cakes for ANY occasion from weddings to birthdays.
There really isn't a right or wrong way it just depends on what is on the rest of your card and wether you think it's necessary, or if you just want it!
Just my two cents icon_smile.gif

chelley325 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:56am
post #7 of 29

Thanks for the input everyone! Just to clarify - she wasn't suggesting no taglines from an "expert" point of view, it was merely a personal preference. She does do design, but not marketing - she just thought the card would look cluttered with one and would look "cleaner" without one. We are doing a bi-colored front and back design. But, to someone else's point, I would like to provide clarity as to what I specifically provide. I guess I'll have to play around with a few options and see which I like.

Mike1394 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:56am
post #8 of 29

Nice card Debi, well done.

Mike

murf Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:12am
post #9 of 29

Hi,
As a personal preference, I agree with Indydebi, you need to have a card that will stand out from a bunch of others that someone grabs from a wedding fair. I have both business cards and postcard size glossy cards. The business cards have the business name and contact details and then a soft focus background picture of one of my wedding cakes on. The postcards are visually lovely, the latest ones have my brown and white checked cake on with my web address and name and "If you can dream it, I can bake it". I also have some purely for wedding cakes with 4 small wedding cake pictures along the centre, the contact details on the bottom and on the rear of the card, details about the cakes and a guide price. It is all about personal preference and you must like the cards or you won't be happy to use them with your name on them!
Jenny

MichelleM77 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:03pm
post #10 of 29

I guess I decided on no tagline on my new cards because my logo has my business name and "Cookies & Cakes," so no need for a tagline that says that too. Your right, it probably depends on what your name is.

MichelleM77 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 29

Dang, my Adobe doesn't like your business cards! LOL! Can you post it some other way? I really want to see it! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 29

I tried to put it on my website for you (temporarily) and it wouldn't show up. Sorry! icon_sad.gif

ccr03 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 29

hope you don't mind indydebi! thumbs_up.gif

I REALLY like how you did them!
LL

sweettoothmom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 29

Oh dear!
Your graphic artist is most likely putting the artistic quality of the business card over the true purpose of the card. It is an advertisement. You must have the necessary info on the card to make it a beneficial piece of your business arsenal. You would never omit a phone number so why would you omit the "essence" of the business on the card?

Chocolate chip cookies are just cookies without the chips! icon_smile.gif
I also run my own promotional products business from home. (Between the two I am able to let my crative juices really flow.) I use the indiviual cake slice boxes as my business cards. When I go to meet someone to discuss a cake. I take the box printed with my info on it and filled with either my homemade chocolates or a piece of cake or something else I made for them. My business card is also a magnet for the fridge. It is affixed to the cake box for easy removal. So they have my info on the box and then the removable magnet for the fridge. You want your face in thier face as often as possible to get the full effect of a promotional item. A plan old card gets filed away in a roledx etc but is it constantly in thier fae calling attention to your business? It is my personal opinion that protional money can be spent so much wiser than in business cards.
Best of luck to you all!

indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 29

Thanks, ccr!

sweettoothmom, the magnet thing is so right on! At the place that did the lettering on my van, they sold these packs of magnets ... sticky on one side, magnet on the other .... the exact size of biz cards. I slap my cards on these and people then to pick these up more than they do regular cards.

And as we all know, this business is a "well, when I need a cake, I'll call you ...." industry, and birthdays 'n such only come once a year, so having the magnet on the refrigerator, the office filing cabinet, etc., is super valuable.

BrandisBaked Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #16 of 29

Mine does. My business name is Brandi Bakes, and the tag line is "Because it's all about the cake..."

I guess it depends on how much information is already on your card, what your business name is, and most importantly, if YOU want it on there. This is a little remember of your business... what do you want them to keep in mind when they see your name?

mgdqueen Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #17 of 29

I don't think you NEED one, but I have a tagline as well-my daughter and I had fun creating taglines so I have three different cards and three different taglines. I like them all. I think it adds just a little extra OOMPH to the card.

Debi-yours are gorgeous!

RRGibson Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:10pm
post #18 of 29

I agree with Debi. My cards are double sided and I think it's important to get as much info as you can on the card without it being cluttered. I don't really have a logo as of yet so I definitely needed a tagline. I also wanted something that would stand out. So my card itself is actually black and it's foiled on the front. My business is full service event planning so my tagline is "Leave the details and even the desserts to us!". And on the back is a list of the services that I offer.

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

You want your face in thier face as often as possible to get the full effect of a promotional item.

This is exactly what the graphic design guy told me that did my new logo. I am embarrassed to do that though. How silly of me, I know. He was even wanting me to get custom printed papers for cookie tray liners instead of the doily ones! I said they are fine, just a functional item, and he said but the are oh so 50s and why not get my name printed all over them so that they remember you? I don't now, it's hard to plaster your name all over the place, especially if you aren't one of the big guys in your area.

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #20 of 29

Thank you for posting the pic of the indy's cards! Wonderful! Those would definitely catch someone's eye! I might have to rethink my cards before I order them......

missmeg Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #21 of 29

My business cards have the tagline "cakes with a singular flair". It's right under the business name.

My cards are turquoise / light taupe, with the same pic as my avatar in oval. My business info is underneath. I've received tons of compliments on them icon_smile.gif.

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 29

So what are you guys paying for these fancy two-sided color cards? I'm looking at local people and the first one I came across is 500 two-sided cards for $69 (or 1000 for $89). I'm not spending that much, but I'm not doing fancy ones, just plan from VistaPrint, so this sounds sooo expensive to me.

indy, feel free to send me your guy's info!

whoops edited to change 100 to 1000!

RRGibson Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 3:02pm
post #23 of 29

I do mine with Vista Print. So normally they always have some special so I only end up paying about $20 for 500 cards.

AZCakeGirl Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:22am
post #24 of 29

Be careful with Vista Print...they are really good at providing things, but you don't want to pick the same template that someone else has. I only say this because I grabbed a card from another cake decorator at a bridal show, it was yellow stripes & had a cake on it - very cute. On the back, it said it was from Vista print. A few weeks later, I was at the party supply store and looking at the cards on display again because I like to know who the other vendors in town are. I picked up one of every card except for the yellow one since I had already collected it before. Then, after a moment, I realized that it had a different name on it. The two cake decorators in town had both decided to get their cards from Vista print & used the same template! Only the name was different. I thought to myself........ I'm glad I don't have that same one too & mine stands out! I would assume they are both losing potential clients if brides only grab one yellow card thinking they are both the same.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 10:46am
post #25 of 29

Underneath my business name I have the catchphrase "Specializing in American style cakes & desserts". Sums up what I do in one fell swoop I think.

I keep the card simple in design, as I see too many horridly cluttered cards around here, in both text & colors. I tend to stand out in the simplicity, I hope.

Debi - your card is full, but not cluttered, just lovely!

One bit of advice, don't go cheap in printing - it really does make an impression - good or bad - to your prospective client. I'm lucky that my husband is a professional printer, and his boss allows me to pay in cakes & goodies for cards, flyers, etc... win-win! thumbs_up.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:43pm
post #26 of 29

I don't have a tagline on my cards.
I only recently came up with one that I like, which I put on my website.

I wanted to say about Vistaprint...
I started with a semi-stock card with the Vistaprint cake (different colors) and I met this lady at our cake club - we exchanged cards and laughed because they were almost the same!

I have since created my own image and uploaded to Vistaprint.
they charge $5 for a custom upload, but sometimes this goes on sale...

none of my cards say Vistaprint on the back. I love my cards and 250 for $11 is the best part.

MichelleM77 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #27 of 29

I've seen that one with the pale yellow stripes and the cake on it. It also had the VistaPrint stamp on the back. I always pay for the blank back anyway.

The problem with my new logo is that it is making it difficult for me to find a business card layout that I like. I think I finally found one, but hubby said it looked too plain. Well, I'm a plain girl. It had a wide colored border that matched my logo color, so at least it's not just plain white.

What do you guys think about the layout direction, like horizontal or vertical? I've always liked the uniqueness of the vertical layout and that way I can get the layout that I like with my logo. My logo is round and it's causing problems with me trying to get it to look right with a rectangular card, just doesn't look right to me.

sweettoothmom Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #28 of 29

Another vendor of greata nd easy business cards is staples. YOu can go online and design it. They do not offer as many templates as Vista but at least it isnt the same yellow and white striped one like your neighbor! HEE HEE

MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:29pm
post #29 of 29

I just discovered that you can mix and match designs on VistaPrint, move the background around, etc. I didn't know this before, thought I was stuck with the templates they have, but I liked the border on one so I copied it and pasted it on the bottom as well and also removed the background that was little hearts, not my style. I also discovered that you can use the discount codes in old emails from them even if they say they are expired. Just click on the link in the old email and it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%