Dinner:impossible = Chef:moron!!

Lounge By Melvira Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 2:32am by Melvira

Melvira Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #1 of 18

I'm watching Dinner:Impossible right now and he is doing a Quince party. He did a four tiered cake and used NO SUPPORTS!! No dowels, separator plates, nothing! I like that show, though he can border on pretentious at times, but why on earth would he do that?? I mean, he freely admits he is not a baker and hates doing it, but if he knew enough to mention that he didn't use supports so it might sink, then one must conclude that he knew he should've!! I am scared to watch the rest... I am praying the cake doesn't sink.

17 replies
Melvira Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 18

I just want to edd, I don't actually think he's a moron, like I said I like the show... (and Chef Irvine) it was just not a smart move to use no supports. So please don't take it as me bashing him! He is really talented!

jessfmaldonado Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:04am
post #3 of 18

I love that show and am taping it as we speak. Since having tivo I am so impatient that I cannot watch without fast forwarding through commercials on any show. He is a bit abusive though!! Can't wait to watch it!!!

TooMuchCake Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #4 of 18

So, did the cake fall?

Deanna

MnSnow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:50am
post #5 of 18

He also lost his job at Food Network for lying about his qualifications

Melvira Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

He also lost his job at Food Network for lying about his qualifications

OMG, I know it!! It's kind of a joke with DH and I when we watch the show. I know it's not nice, but he pretty much brought it on himself.

The cake did not end up falling over by some miracle of physics, but it was scary! He was quite nervous. He purports to have made Charles and Diana's wedding cake, (I have no clue if that's the truth) so you'd think he'd have used his basic cake knowledge in this situation. It was pretty though. For a non-baking, non-decorator he did a very nice job. There were a few little things I'd like to have seen changed... like the fact that there was a VERY obvious 'back' to the cake (sloppy ribbon ends put together crookedly, no flowers, etc.) and it was on a round table where people would be viewing all sides. However, in the time alloted, he did an outstanding job. I know he had to make the best use of the limited time and supplies he had, so he chose to make one side pretty and not worry about the back. That's cool... sometimes you have to do that. And in the end, the people he did it for were completely impressed, and that's ALL that matters, as we know full well!!

mkolmar Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #7 of 18

He has never done any work for the Royal family(so no, he never did make Charles and Diana's cake) or other people as he has claimed. That's why he was fired.

Nicholas Lodge made one of the wedding cakes at Charles and Diana's wedding though.

Melvira Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 18

I suspected as much... but who is crazy enough to go on national TV and claim he did that if he didn't? Don't you think SOMEONE is going to say... "Waaaaait a minute... icon_confused.gifI made that cake!!"

fondantgrl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 18

Everything in his resume was a lie..

He also claimed that he was Knighted by Queen Of England and
worked as a Chef at the White House. I wonder if he really thought that FoodNetwork will never find out.

TC123 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 18

I used to really like that show, but since I learned that he was dishonest (in sooo many ways), I don't enjoy watching it anymore. It's because I wonder how many different talented people COULD have had their own show if he hadn't lied to get ahead of them.

Back on topic (sorry...), I didn't catch that episode. I can't believe the cake made it through the show without showing signs of instability. (Ones that we cakers would pick up on, that is.) I'm also kind of surprised that there wasn't anyone around/on the set that would have mentioned the need for support. Sounds like he got real lucky! icon_eek.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 18

I thought you were talking about Michael Symon, the new chef that will start on that show soon. We love him around here! He is our local celebrity. My husband got a signed menu for me from him!

Amia Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 18

I used to like that show, but I read that everything was staged. I figured some things had to be staged to liven it up, but if everything is staged, why even have a show?

Lots of people lie, which is sad. Dr. Phil lost his license, but he's still practicing without one, which is illegal. People still watch his show, though. icon_confused.gif

Mike1394 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I thought you were talking about Michael Symon, the new chef that will start on that show soon. We love him around here! He is our local celebrity. My husband got a signed menu for me from him!

I loved watching The new Iron Chef competition he won. Yeah Simon ROCKS.

Mike

Melvira Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

I used to like that show, but I read that everything was staged. I figured some things had to be staged to liven it up, but if everything is staged, why even have a show?

Lots of people lie, which is sad. Dr. Phil lost his license, but he's still practicing without one, which is illegal. People still watch his show, though. icon_confused.gif

I agree with you about the 'staged reality' thing. It seems like a waste.

I had not heard that Dr Phil lost his license! That's crazy!! My mom and grandparents LOVE his show.

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Dr. Phil lost his license, but he's still practicing without one, which is illegal. People still watch his show, though. icon_confused.gif

He's still practicing? You don't mean to say that the advice he gives on his TV show is considered practicing, because I don't think it is. No one is paying him for advice in that case, not that that constitutes a practice, but you see what I'm trying to get at. Does he have time to have a private practice and do a TV show?

ShortcakesSweets Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:55am
post #16 of 18

Dr. Phil addressed this exact issue on his show not too long ago. He actually DID NOT loose his license, he stated that since he is no longer in private practice that he no longer needed licenses to practice. He didn't loose them, he just didn't renew license to practice (as in a doctor's office). He didn't loose his credentials as a psychologist.
In other words, if he wanted to go back into private practicing he could, just would have to renew those licenses. He's just taken his credentials and qualifications to a different livel.
Am I making sense?

MichelleM77 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #17 of 18

Perfect sense. icon_smile.gif

My mom does the same thing with her RN license. She doesn't need it right now, she is actually retired, but can't stand the thought of losing it altogether, so she does yearly classes and workshops worth credit toward keeping her RN status. Hmm, guess it doesn't really match what Dr. Phil is doing, but I get what you are trying to say. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #18 of 18

That makes sense! It's good to know... I wondered what could've happened to lose his license. That would stink big time!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%