Method For Petit Fours

Decorating By Lenette Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #1 of 12

Has anyone tried the method from Peggy Porshen's book where she heats rolled fondant? just wondering what your results have been.

I have not had good luck with poured fondant and was thinking about trying this. TIA!

11 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 12

I haven't read that book or tried it...but I recently made petit fours and covered them with rolled fondant.

I baked a single layer of cake, leveled the top, cut off the edges and then torted it and filled it with buttercream. Then I put a layer of buttercream on top, covered it with waxed paper, and let the cake freeze overnight. Then I cut the cake into the shapes I wanted and put them all back in the freezer. I took out four at a time (just based on my own personal speed) and rolled marshmallow fondant to cover them. It worked pretty well. Because the cakes were frozen, the MMF got a little sticky as they thawed. It was just sticky enough for my decorations to stick on, but not sticky enough to make the colors run, and it dried to a perfect finish after a little while. Covering them while they were frozen allowed me to get sharp corners on the squares.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 12

Lenette- I've not heard about that method...sounds interesting. Could you briefly explain what she does?

Lenette Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 12

Sure, I will try to explain.

In her book Pretty Party Cakes she explains this method of taking fondant, sugar syrup, lemon juice and glucose and heating it all in the microwave. You can then dip the tops of cupcakes or petit fours making sure that the fondant is warm while working with it.

Her cakes are so pretty and she gets such nice colors, the coverage is so even. I was curious if anyone had tried it. I like to check here first to see if there are any additional tips.

I don't care for traditional poured fondant and was really wondering if using this method and chocopan would be good. It sounds delish anyway!

icon_biggrin.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 12

I've not tried that for petit fours, but have used that method for my sugar cookies so I can see that it would be 'doable." icon_smile.gif The trick, I suppose, would be timing...

I still use the traditional method of a poured glaze-like frosting for my petit fours. I too have tried the poured fondant, but don't like it --found it to be too thick and overwhelmed the cake. They are such small bites of flavor that I hate to overwhelm them with something like the poured fondant. I just go back to my tried and true recipe.

Lenette Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 12

What is the difference between poured glaze and poured fondant?

FayRae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FayRae Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 12

I am not sure how you do your poured fondant, but i used it to cover petit fours when i was in school and it doesnt sound to far off from the book you are talking about. We made simple syrup and added it to the fondant while slightly heating it. If you heat it to much it will not be shiny. I was taught that you add enough simple syrup to it so that it is easily pourable and almost see through. However, this is pretty much imposible to achieve with the rolled fondant made by wilton and possibly other rolled fondants of similar quality.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

What is the difference between poured glaze and poured fondant?

Glaze is a thined frosting you can pour over the cakes. Poured fondant is where the fondant is melted and thinned with additional liquid or syrup so it is pourable but dries thicker than a glaze would. Hope that makes sense.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 12

there is a video on martha stewart of a lady showing how she does petit fours....i hve watched it... but it has been a while... it was really good ... maybe that would help... hth

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 12
4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 12

Ok, now I'm confused. When you say 'poured fondant' I thought you all were talking about the 'quick poured fondant icing' recipe here on CC. icon_redface.gif But it's just p.sugar, water, corn syrup and flavoring. This sounds more like a glaze to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

Can someone clear this up for me?

Bev

Lenette Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 12

I am being dense so please bear with me.

A glaze is like if I heat my bc in the microwave to kind of melt it and use that to cover a pf or cookies?

I always thought poured fondant was that super sweet stuff with water, karo/powdered sugar type mixture. That's why I thought the fondant mixture seemed so different. Maybe it's not really? Just a different road to a similar house?

I do thank everyone for the replies. I just need to give it a whirl when I have time (yeah right! maybe after school starts! icon_wink.gif )

I like the idea of the melted bc though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%