2" Or 3" Deep Cake Pans?

Decorating By beagledog100 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm by MikeRowesHunny

beagledog100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beagledog100 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #1 of 7

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but I am very new to cake decorating...I actually just took my first class of Wilton Course I last night. I need to purchase round cake pans, but I"m not sure if it's better to use 2" deep cake pans or 3" deep cake pans.

I assume with 2" cake pans you would bake two cakes and stack one on top of the other with frosting. With the 3" you would torte the cakes.

What do you recommend for a beginner? Also, should I buy 8" round or 9" round pans?

Thanks in advance.

6 replies
kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:52am
post #2 of 7

I prefer the 2" pans and so does my class instructor. I am in class 3 now. I mostly use my 9" pans since they come in a 2 pack at Michaels. You will need a 10" for the last cake of course 1 unless your instructor says it doesn't matter.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:48am
post #3 of 7

Buy the 3" pans. You can still bake a 2" cake inside it, and then you always have the option of going taller.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 7

Yes - I think the 3" pans are the better bet. I made the mistake of purchasing 2" pans and ended up having to buy the same size in a 3" for several pans. As PP states, you can always bake a 2" in the 3".

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 7

i would just go for the 3" pans also.i did same thing as prev. poster,bought 2" pans while taking wilton classes,then ended up buying the 3" pans soon after.why waste your money?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

Buy the 3" pans. You can still bake a 2" cake inside it, and then you always have the option of going taller.

I agree... I only use 3" pans myself.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 7

Definitely 3in - you have both options available to you then (2in & 3in cakes)! I've replaced all my round & square pans with 3in versions, and will now start with the other shapes (these are far more pricey to do though!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%