Odd Cake Request

Decorating By 59cakes Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 1:14am by indydebi

59cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
59cakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone,

I have a customer who really wants a Napolean cake in the shape of cross for her sons baptism. Does anyone know if this is do-able and if so what do I cover the cake with to decorate. Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Sylvia

8 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 9

If she wants a classic Napoleon with the soft filling amongst the crispy dough sheets, I don't see how you can frost it with anything other than the traditional glaze on top. It doesn't seem to be a cake type or
construction that will hold up under much weight of icing or fondant.

You could probably construct/shape the cake as a cross, since it's usually a rectangle, anyway.

Just my .02
Rae

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:45am
post #3 of 9

If she wants the flavors side by side, a 12x18 sheet uses 3 cake mixes and you can cut the cross out of that.

Or bake 3 one-inch layer cakes in different flavors.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 9

I like the 3- one inch layers. That way, each piece will show the three different flavors!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #5 of 9

indydebi.. i think you're thinking neopolitan.

napoleon :

neopolitan :

if the first is what your customer wants, you might be able to put some small RI flowers, like sweetpeas or rosebuds but you wouldn't want to use too many or anything heavier like bc, as it might be too heavy.

if the 2nd is what she's wanting.. go with indydebi's suggestions of 3 - 1 inch layers of the 3 differ flavors.

HTH

laxgal00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laxgal00 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of 9

im going to as a stupid question - are you talking about a "napoleon" cake that is crispy pasry and cream or are you talking about "neopolitan" cake that is actual cake that is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry like ice cream. just want to be sure on what you meant

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:11am
post #7 of 9

you can cover it with whipped cream ( i sweeten it with powdered sugar)
you can also make flower decorations with the whipped cream. The cake will not sit if you refrigerate it for a while before decorating it. whipped cream actually makes the napoleon taste pretty good.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #8 of 9

I wonder if you could do something like this with strained preserves set up with gelatin or something. I don't know why this seems to be so napolean-ish to me. I don't know, stained glass just came to mind for this. You could do the design on each one and have them just all set together to make the cross? Or you could something with poured sugar shards.

http://www.macdonaldglass.com/products.cgi?catid=2&prodid=41

http://www.macdonaldglass.com/products.cgi?catid=2&prodid=32

Just an idea to toss in the idea pot.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:14am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

indydebi.. i think you're thinking neopolitan.

dunce.gif DUH! You're right!! I was! Ooops!! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%