Mmf Too Sticky - Help!

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm by rmelendrez

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 22

hi, I have made several batches now of Rhonda's MMF and have even reduced the number of Table spoons of water to 1 per batch and still it is just frustrating to work with. i must be doing something wrong. i keep adding powdered sugar and powdered sugar and still cant get a nice dry fondant. i like the taste, but my decorations cant be picked up without stretching and losing its shape. then if i do manage to get it on the cake, it looks saggy and shiny. Check out my mario brothers cake in my album and you can see what i mean, especially on the tubes on top of the cake. I like using Wilton cause it is easier to mold and hold shape, but no one likes its taste and i get compliments on the taste of MMF! help! suggestions?

21 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 22

depending on the humidity where you are, it can take much more powdered sugar than listed in the recipe. sift some sugar on your work spcce and knead it until it isn't sticky. It should feel much the same as the wilton fondant, when it is ready. resting the fondant for a while can be very helpful.

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 22

Don't give up! Just keep adding powdered sugar, it will work! As far as doing cut outs with it, it can be really difficult to have it dry at this time of year. You may want to use gumpaste rather than a combination. Good luck!

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 22

i always have the same problem. STill can't figure it out. I don't think it's always the humidity because I like in a very dry climate.......west tx/ and it's desert like. Good luck though. I'm sorry I can't offer any advice.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 22

CORNSTARCH!! Add a little bit at a time, it works miracles!

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 22

kween...i used the same recipe for about a year and i just finally gave up! i have the same exact problems you are having. i tried everything and it always loses it shape...it's so droopy! i switched to satin ice. it's a lot better. mmf does taste good, but i REFUSE to use it on wedding cakes anymore...the last time i had such a horrible experience! i wouldn't add gumpaste to it...i would try something else, because i have tried everything to help that stuff out and nothing has worked for me. and a very close friend of mine use to use to the same stuff and she was having the same problem and she swtiched to satin as well. i have actually had customers prefer satin ice over the mmf...bc i let the taste both. i hope you get some answers soon...if you find one that works...let me know!

Rexy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rexy Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 22

I've been considering buying Satin Ice because I just don't have the time to make mmf all the time. Is there a place that you recommend ordering it from? Thanks!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 22

This is what I have been using, I made 1 cake with store bought and then used this and have either been lucky or it is a good one! LOL!

16oz bag MM
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp vanilla
melt in microwave

mix in 3 tbsp butter (have even used margarine)
and 3 tbsp of crisco

start adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time (I can get 2 in with my hand mixer and then I have to switch to hand)
After 4 cups I put it on my counter I have greased with crisco and knead in the last 2-3 cups of sugar
Usually use 6-7 cups of powdered sugar
after it is together I put it in a ziploc bag and let it sit overnight, if its to hard pop in Microwave for about 10 secs or so

Try this, I have had good luck with it! Hope it helps!

Michelle

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 22

Try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF... perfect each and every time in any type of weather.

15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt and extracts. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter. Sift remaining sugar, regrease hands, and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

CORNSTARCH!! Add a little bit at a time, it works miracles!

ditto

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #11 of 22

Hi kweenofengland,

How much sugar have you added so far ? can you show us your recipe ?

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmelendrez

Try Rhonda's Ultimate MMF... perfect each and every time in any type of weather.

15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 T water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt and extracts. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter. Sift remaining sugar, regrease hands, and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

this si the recipe she is talking about...i think...this is the same one i used too. and i have tried cornstarch as well and it's not working for me as well.

i buy my satin ice from global sugar art.

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:31am
post #13 of 22

i've also tried using cornstarch, shortening, more sugar and nothing has worked for me. Good luck

kweenofengland Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #14 of 22

wow, all these replies, some good and some bad. i dont know where to start. But yes, the Rhonda's ultimate MMF is what I have been using. I like to use it to cover a cake because of the taste, but like i said, the wilton is much easier to shape, etc. honestly thinking about just buying wilton for decorations and sticking to buttercream as much as possible. but i cant always get a smooth smooth look with buttercream as well. thank you all for the advice. i might try the cornstarch just because that seems like the simplest thing to try at this point and also more powdered sugar. then if that doesnt help.....on to other suggestions! thanks!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #15 of 22

Odd. I use the Addendum to Rhonda's Ultimate and love it. Never a problem. Honestly, I would say just start adding powdered sugar to it. You can't ruin it. And definitely use cornstarch to role it out. Cornstarch works much better than anything else I've tried.

MacsMom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #16 of 22

I had thought about this and realized I should've added everything I've learned about MMF:

~ Jet Puffed marshmallows are weird -- don't use them! I use Wal Mart brand.

~ Store brand PS is better for MMF, probably due to a higher cornstarch content (?). Again, I use Wal Mart.

~ If you melt the MMs too long in the micro they will be too soupy which probably lends to the stickiness. I only zap mine for 1 minute and stir 'til they have finished melting.

~ Glycerine is less sticky than corn syrup. (NOT the kind in the pharmacy!)

icon_smile.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #17 of 22

I did several batches of Rhonda's MMF just yesterday.
I used Walmart MM and PS and I mixed it on my KA.

The MM were really sticky but I just kept adding sugar, for each 2lbs of MM I ended up using 4lbs of PS!

It came out just perfect.

MacsMom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

for each 2lbs of MM I ended up using 4lbs of PS!

Do you mean 16 oz MM? Because the ratio should be 4 lbs PS if you used 2 lbs MM icon_smile.gif

Yesterday I made a batch of beige MMF and a batch of pink MMF. For some reason the pink MMF did require a lot more PS. It's the first time that's ever happened! It is going to be 113 degrees here today icon_redface.gif

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeGrlPA

for each 2lbs of MM I ended up using 4lbs of PS!

Do you mean 16 oz MM? Because the ratio should be 4 lbs PS if you used 2 lbs MM icon_smile.gif

Yesterday I made a batch of beige MMF and a batch of pink MMF. For some reason the pink MMF did require a lot more PS. It's the first time that's ever happened! It is going to be 113 degrees here today icon_redface.gif

Duhh...Never mind!
I had the impression that it was 1 to 1 ratio...no wonder... icon_biggrin.gif

kweenofengland Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 22

ok, i have been specifically buying Jet puff due to Rhonda's recipe that says name brand are better than generic!

so i am going to try all of these tips, glycerin, 1 minute microwave, and generic mm and see how it turns out. i am glad someone is brave enough to work with someone else's recipe. I am scared to mess anything up! i might make a practice batch tonight! thanks! let you know how it turns out!

MacsMom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #21 of 22

Oh!! I forgot...

Use popcorn salt instead of regular as regular salt leaves marks of crystallization (most apparent with colored fondant). I grind regular salt in a coffee grinder because I can't find popcorn salt in my town.

rmelendrez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmelendrez Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweenofengland

ok, i have been specifically buying Jet puff due to Rhonda's recipe that says name brand are better than generic!

so i am going to try all of these tips, glycerin, 1 minute microwave, and generic mm and see how it turns out. i am glad someone is brave enough to work with someone else's recipe. I am scared to mess anything up! i might make a practice batch tonight! thanks! let you know how it turns out!

I too use WalMart brand mini mm's, warehouse bulk PS and I follow Rhonda's instructions to the letter, especially the microwave section. It's the only fondant I use. Try playing around with flavors and oils...recently I made a banana cake filled with BC and flavored my fondant with LorAnn Banana Creme Flavor!!! Very yummy! Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%