Airbrush Colors

Decorating By martmarg Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm by martmarg

martmarg Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 10

I just got an airbrush on ebay a couple of weeks ago. i haven't used it yet. I know most people recommend Americolor. My question though is, can you use regular Wilton gel mixed with water or Alchol (vodka) to airbrush?

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 10

no...you will clog your airbrush with tiny particles in the gel..The Americolor and chefmasters airbrush colors are specially formulated for an airbrush!!!

martmarg Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 10

thanks for replying. How weird, I didn't get a message saying there was a reply. Anyway, thank you for letting me know because I was going to try it like that to see what would happen but now I know.

fbaaheth Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 10

I read somewhere that someone bought a airbrush system from a hardware store or something. Does that work? Is it good? Does it use Americolor or airbrush color? I can't remember the model they said they bought, but t was about $30. If you know what I'm talking about please help with answers and model information.

Thanks

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 10

I got mine at a hardware store, I havent used it yet, but I read on here that it works, thats why I went there. I got the airbush & jar for $6 & the compressor is the really small one for abt $45 & it HAS to be 30 psi.

icer101 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 10

hi, some people say they use regular gel colors diluted..... but i have never... and never will... i use different name brand AIRBRUSH colors and that is all..... that is what i was told to do 12 years ago... that is what i do.. i have the kopykake one that i love... i bought it from frances kuyper..... she is retired now... she gave me all the info i needed. i bought all her books and videos... also carol faxon ... she was great with airbrush... i have some of roland winbecklers books... they all have helped me ......

fbaaheth Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks I thought I would never find someone who kew what I was talking about. THANKS ALOT!!!!

Rosie2 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briniga

I got mine at a hardware store, I havent used it yet, but I read on here that it works, thats why I went there. I got the & jar for $6 & the compressor is the really small one for abt $45 & it HAS to be 30 psi.

Can you please tell what hardware store? and is it just a regular air-brush?

Briniga Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 10

I went to harbor freight & i got a hobby air brush kit model 47791, I think its just a standard airbrush

martmarg Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 10

I bought a TESTORS BLUE MINI AIR COMPRESSOR MODEL 50204 NR on ebay for 42.99 total. It's not a cake decorating airbrush specifically, but it says it can be used for crafts and other hobbies.

I haven't used it. I'm kind of afraid to try it and I haven't baked since Father's Day. And since I don't have special airbrush colors, I wanted to ask whether we could use other stuff, before I tried it and mess it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%