Cover A Round Cake With Fondant

Decorating By tchrmom Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 2:07am by tracey1970

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 8

I had leftover gray fondant, and an 8-inch round cake in the freezer, so I decided to try to cover one. It actually looked pretty good all the way around until I got to the "end". (I know the cake is round-- no real "end", but anyway . . .) It has lumps and holes and I can't figure out what to do about it. (I know that I cut it off a little too short in places while smoothing it around, but I figure that is a first-timer's mistake.)

thanks.

7 replies
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 8

Will piping your border help it? Could a ribbon border or flowers cover the mistakes? Can you just keep that side turned to the wall and slice it first? LOL (sorry)

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 8

Are you trying to cover the whole cake with fondant or just a border of sorts.

atecousa.net/learn/satin-ice-tutorial has a great demo on covering a whole cake.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

Here is a great tutorial from aine2 on how to cover a round cake and the board,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157594575839118

If you check on Youtube, you will get lots of videos on that as well.

thumbs_up.gif

tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 8

Whole thing. Thank goodness it's probably just going to the food pantry/shelter that feeds people lunch. I think the cake has been in the freezer awhile, but it did not appear freezerburned so it should be good if weird looking. (gray badly-done fondant).

Thanks for the videos. I tried the thing in articles on this site, but it didn't really show how to fix what I did or how to not do it next time.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 8

Here is another link from Wilton on how to cover cakes with fondant.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/fondant/index.cfm

tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks. I looked at those two. I Think my MMF may have been too stiff. It just kept "buckling" and folding on the sides. The top looks pretty good. I don't have a smoother, so I was just using my hands. I'll try again another time. I appreciate the help.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #8 of 8

I smooth my fondant cakes almost only with my hands. I have found with round cakes that it's a lot of slow smoothing downward, cutting off excess as I go. I also find if my fondant is rolled a bit thicker, it smooths a lot nicer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%