Cover A Round Cake With Fondant

Decorating By tchrmom Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 2:07am by tracey1970

tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 8

I had leftover gray fondant, and an 8-inch round cake in the freezer, so I decided to try to cover one. It actually looked pretty good all the way around until I got to the "end". (I know the cake is round-- no real "end", but anyway . . .) It has lumps and holes and I can't figure out what to do about it. (I know that I cut it off a little too short in places while smoothing it around, but I figure that is a first-timer's mistake.)

thanks.

7 replies
sugaah Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 8

Will piping your border help it? Could a ribbon border or flowers cover the mistakes? Can you just keep that side turned to the wall and slice it first? LOL (sorry)

terrylee Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 8

Are you trying to cover the whole cake with fondant or just a border of sorts.

atecousa.net/learn/satin-ice-tutorial has a great demo on covering a whole cake.

bashini Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 8

Here is a great tutorial from aine2 on how to cover a round cake and the board,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157594575839118

If you check on Youtube, you will get lots of videos on that as well.

thumbs_up.gif

tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #5 of 8

Whole thing. Thank goodness it's probably just going to the food pantry/shelter that feeds people lunch. I think the cake has been in the freezer awhile, but it did not appear freezerburned so it should be good if weird looking. (gray badly-done fondant).

Thanks for the videos. I tried the thing in articles on this site, but it didn't really show how to fix what I did or how to not do it next time.

bashini Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 8

Here is another link from Wilton on how to cover cakes with fondant.

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/fondant/index.cfm

tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks. I looked at those two. I Think my MMF may have been too stiff. It just kept "buckling" and folding on the sides. The top looks pretty good. I don't have a smoother, so I was just using my hands. I'll try again another time. I appreciate the help.

tracey1970 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #8 of 8

I smooth my fondant cakes almost only with my hands. I have found with round cakes that it's a lot of slow smoothing downward, cutting off excess as I go. I also find if my fondant is rolled a bit thicker, it smooths a lot nicer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%