Bummed Out Today... Had To Put My Kitty Down

Lounge By itsmylife Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm by aurasmom

itsmylife Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 10

Title pretty much says it all. I've been through this before, but it's never easy.

Binky was such a good little cat. I rescued her as a stray outside of a Denny's about 15 years ago. She got sick about a week ago and it turns out she has a diaphragmatic hernia. Hers is apparently the rare form where it was a birth defect (it's common for cats to get them after experiencing some sort of trauma). So, for her it just got worse over time.

Vet said that her breathing is labored, her blood isn't getting enough oxygen, and there may be other issues (x-rays showed something blocking her liver).

She was a really good cat... great with the kids and super affectionate with everyone she ever met.

Hope I didn't bring anyone else down with this post. It just helps me to write it down, and I've been here long enough to know what a kind-hearted community this is.

Thanx for listening.
Denise

[/img]
LL

9 replies
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 10

. . . sorry . . . it's never easy to lose a friend is it . . . (I know how hard it is, and I'll soon be faced with the same with my beloved Shiloh, my dog) . . . I feel for you . . . consider yourself hugged . . . I shed a tear for you too . . . once again, sorry . . .

veejaytx Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 10

I'm so sorry! I had to do that about a year and a half ago and it still makes me sad. I'd had my cat, Rupert, for 17 years, just the two of us, so I was lost without him!

My DB and SIL gave me the tortoiseshell kitty in my avatar, her name is Pepper, and she is a joy to me!

It would be wonderful if we never had to lose our pets, but sadly, at some point we all have to deal with it.

Sending hugs for you! Janice

itsmylife Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you both for the kind words. I know I'll be feeling better as the days go on.... it's just a sad day. I'm trying not to be upset in front of the kids (they get extremely upset if they see me cry)... so that's been a little difficult. Thank God my DH is able to better deal with this stuff.

Like you said dragonflydreams.... it's always sad to lose a friend... even the furry ones.

bisbqueenb Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 10

Everyone who loves a pet will or has lost that special Furkid...here is a poem that says it best:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
When ever I read it I remember all the loved pets in my life and after a time it does give my heart a smile!

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:11am
post #6 of 10

You have my deepest sympathy. Isn't crazy how we love our pets like children? We had to put down our 11 year old German Shepherd, Blitz, in 2006. Then we got a pug puppy, Piggy, in 2007. She turned one year old in March and was diagnosed with inoperable cancer in June. She isn't symptomatic, yet, but the time will come. My girls know that the time is going to come, but we don't know when. I have fleeting moments of sadness knowing that my girls will be devastated when she must go.

I know there's not much I can say to make it easier on you; just know that you are not alone in your grief.

emrldsky Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #7 of 10

I'm so sorry to hear this, as I know the loss of a kitty too. *hugs* Just think of her no longer in pain, and playing like a kitten waiting at the bridge for you!

KlyKat Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:07am
post #8 of 10

I too am so sorry for your loss. I am an avid animal lover and have suffered my losses in the past and will sadly have more to come. Big hugs to you!!!!

itsmylife Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:57am
post #9 of 10

Thank you all for the kind words of comfort....and sorry to all those who have lost a furry friend.

Part of the difficulty I'm having with this is that I was not there for her right at the end. I feel like I wimped out and I should've been there to comfort her in her final moments. When they called this morning to give us the news and we made the decision... I just couldn't do anything else.... DH had to take care of everything from there. I feel like I let her down in the end, and she didn't deserve that from me (heckuva guilt trip I've laid on myself, eh?).

I wish I wasn't such an emotional wreck when it comes to those things. It wasn't fair to her. I just pray that the nice folks at the vet were kind and compassionate to her during that time.

Again.... thank you all for your compassion... I know I'll be fine... it just seriously helps to write this stuff down, and I knew I would find this sort of compassion here. I would love to talk to my DH about it, as I know he was hurt too, but talking just turns me into a sobbing mush. At least on here.... I can be a sobbing mush, but still get out what I need to say.

CC=Free Therapy

Denise

aurasmom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 10

If your vet is like ours, they cried right with you. They love them, too, especially if they have taken care of them from little kittens. We lost our Andy in August and a little girl kitten showed up in our carport two months later. Amber looks just like Andy did. She is a sweetie, just like Andy was, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%