"sand"

Decorating By wendydou Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 5:02am by wendydou

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 25

I am making cupcakes with a sand look on top and a chocolate seashell on top of that.. I was going to just crush Nilla wafers to get the sand look, but when I was researching beachy cakes, a lot of people mentioned mixing the nilla's with brown sugar for the sand look..

Should I mix them or will it be ok with just the Nilla cookies?? I'd love opinions on it.. I'm making yellow cupcakes stuffed with chocolate mousse...

Thanks
Wendy

24 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 25

whatever floats your taste buds!

other options include:
crushed graham crackers
crushed snickerdoodles
adding clear sanding sugar
adding cake glitter

mixing up combos of the above

even crushed oreos (centers eaten -- opps "removed") for the black sand beaches of Hawaii

i use 2 parts graham crackers + 2 parts vanilla wafers + 1 part dark brown sugar whirled in food processor until a nice sand texture. Sometimes after it's on the cake will also hit w/ cake glitter for more sparkle.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 25

hmmmm.....crushed snickerdoodles!!!! that sounds sooo good!!! anyway....as Dough mentioned...all of the above are great!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 25

i used just graham crackers for my sand castle cake that was for a little girls 2nd b-day

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 25

if i were doing it i would mix crushed graham crackers and a little brown sugar. i like the look of all sugar but omg the taste would be sooo gross. i mean sweet. but gross. icon_wink.gif

chelle1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelle1971 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 25

I have a cake in my photo where I used Raw Sugar and you can see what it looks like. It wouldn't be a fine as brown sugar but it does have the "sparkle". It isn't a rich as brown sugar.

tktexasgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tktexasgirl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 25

I have a beach type pic on here and for the border I used tan colored buttercream then cruched nilla wafers on top of that. I had a lot of compliments on it and it tasted good too.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 25

I am planning to use graham crackers for mine, but i am going for "safari" sand rather than beach.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 25

I mainly use graham crackers, sometimes nillas. IMO, brown sugar is too much, especially with the BC being so sweet!

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 25

Brown sugar has worked well for me as "sand" but I've only used it on areas of cake where it's not going to be consumed. I think on top of cupcakes I would probably mix the sugar with something else so the taste wouldn't be so over-powering. All of the above suggestions sound great! Good luck!

Sarah

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 25

Crushed snickerdoodles are awesome... has the dark cinnamon that mixes in with the lighter "sand" look icon_smile.gif ... and it's awesome with bc...

snickerdoodle cake with bc icing YUMMO

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 25

For my flip-flops ake I used grahm crackers w/ a little bit brown suager (just enough brown sugar to add that "glisten" that sand has. The taste was really good!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 25

Crushed Keebler Pecan Sandies work great!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 25

I've used pecan sandies for family. Be careful though, people may have nut allergies.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 25

Oh yes! I forgot to mention that!
Thanks!!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #16 of 25

I've seen people use crushed Teddy Grahams...they have their own sparkle that gives it more of a realistic sand look.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #17 of 25

wondering how sugar cinnamon grahams would look crushed....hmmm.....

and then most any vanilla sugar cookie -- NFSC? -- hmmm....

SugarMama602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMama602 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #18 of 25

I've used tan buttercream and rice krispies. Doesn't affect the flavor much...see my retirement cake in my photos.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 25

I do what Doug said (just as a general rule) icon_smile.gifcinnamon graham crackers are perfect because they have some sparkle and are not too sweet.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #20 of 25

what i did for last months TD cake... i used the mini nilla waffers and mixed it with wiltons sugar crystals (the clear ones) and it tasted just fine...

wendydou Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:59am
post #21 of 25

Thanks for all the ideas!! I"m going to have a taste test with the real critics - my children! I also found vanilla oreos at the supermarket yesterday! I crushed one up and my hubby liked it.. so I'll do a few and pick the best one.. Thanks so much!!!

Wendy icon_biggrin.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #22 of 25

I used brown sugar on my son's Lightning McQueen cake. It looked real. Tasted good too!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #23 of 25

crushed pecan sandies look great too-it's the only way I can keep them in the house-crush them all so I can't eat them!!

shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #24 of 25

I added in a few gingersnaps to the vanilla cookies for the beach cake in my gallery

Julie

wendydou Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:02am
post #25 of 25

I held a blind taste test today with the kiddos and hubby, crushed vanilla oreos won hands down!

Thanks again! it was cool to try all the different ones.. I like the grahams with br sugar myself...

Wendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%