Decorating By wendydou Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 5:02am by wendydou

wendydou Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 25

I am making cupcakes with a sand look on top and a chocolate seashell on top of that.. I was going to just crush Nilla wafers to get the sand look, but when I was researching beachy cakes, a lot of people mentioned mixing the nilla's with brown sugar for the sand look..

Should I mix them or will it be ok with just the Nilla cookies?? I'd love opinions on it.. I'm making yellow cupcakes stuffed with chocolate mousse...

24 replies
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 25

whatever floats your taste buds!

other options include:
crushed graham crackers
crushed snickerdoodles
adding clear sanding sugar
adding cake glitter

mixing up combos of the above

even crushed oreos (centers eaten -- opps "removed") for the black sand beaches of Hawaii

i use 2 parts graham crackers + 2 parts vanilla wafers + 1 part dark brown sugar whirled in food processor until a nice sand texture. Sometimes after it's on the cake will also hit w/ cake glitter for more sparkle.

mariela_ms Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 25

hmmmm.....crushed snickerdoodles!!!! that sounds sooo good!!! anyway....as Dough mentioned...all of the above are great!

butterflywings Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 25

i used just graham crackers for my sand castle cake that was for a little girls 2nd b-day

gottabakenow Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 25

if i were doing it i would mix crushed graham crackers and a little brown sugar. i like the look of all sugar but omg the taste would be sooo gross. i mean sweet. but gross. icon_wink.gif

chelle1971 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 25

I have a cake in my photo where I used Raw Sugar and you can see what it looks like. It wouldn't be a fine as brown sugar but it does have the "sparkle". It isn't a rich as brown sugar.

tktexasgirl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 25

I have a beach type pic on here and for the border I used tan colored buttercream then cruched nilla wafers on top of that. I had a lot of compliments on it and it tasted good too.

tchrmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 25

I am planning to use graham crackers for mine, but i am going for "safari" sand rather than beach.

beachcakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 25

I mainly use graham crackers, sometimes nillas. IMO, brown sugar is too much, especially with the BC being so sweet!

sgauta Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #10 of 25

Brown sugar has worked well for me as "sand" but I've only used it on areas of cake where it's not going to be consumed. I think on top of cupcakes I would probably mix the sugar with something else so the taste wouldn't be so over-powering. All of the above suggestions sound great! Good luck!

wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 25

Crushed snickerdoodles are awesome... has the dark cinnamon that mixes in with the lighter "sand" look icon_smile.gif ... and it's awesome with bc...

snickerdoodle cake with bc icing YUMMO

nickymom Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 25

For my flip-flops ake I used grahm crackers w/ a little bit brown suager (just enough brown sugar to add that "glisten" that sand has. The taste was really good!

becklynn Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 25

Crushed Keebler Pecan Sandies work great!

beachcakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 25

I've used pecan sandies for family. Be careful though, people may have nut allergies.

becklynn Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 25

Oh yes! I forgot to mention that!

emrldsky Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:06pm
post #16 of 25

I've seen people use crushed Teddy Grahams...they have their own sparkle that gives it more of a realistic sand look.

Doug Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #17 of 25

wondering how sugar cinnamon grahams would look crushed....hmmm.....

and then most any vanilla sugar cookie -- NFSC? -- hmmm....

SugarMama602 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:04pm
post #18 of 25

I've used tan buttercream and rice krispies. Doesn't affect the flavor much...see my retirement cake in my photos.

cvigil Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:59pm
post #19 of 25

I do what Doug said (just as a general rule) icon_smile.gifcinnamon graham crackers are perfect because they have some sparkle and are not too sweet.

pinklesley1 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #20 of 25

what i did for last months TD cake... i used the mini nilla waffers and mixed it with wiltons sugar crystals (the clear ones) and it tasted just fine...

wendydou Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:59am
post #21 of 25

Thanks for all the ideas!! I"m going to have a taste test with the real critics - my children! I also found vanilla oreos at the supermarket yesterday! I crushed one up and my hubby liked it.. so I'll do a few and pick the best one.. Thanks so much!!!

Wendy icon_biggrin.gif

CakeInfatuation Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:03pm
post #22 of 25

I used brown sugar on my son's Lightning McQueen cake. It looked real. Tasted good too!

mgdqueen Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #23 of 25

crushed pecan sandies look great too-it's the only way I can keep them in the house-crush them all so I can't eat them!!

shyann_rayne Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #24 of 25

I added in a few gingersnaps to the vanilla cookies for the beach cake in my gallery

wendydou Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 5:02am
post #25 of 25

I held a blind taste test today with the kiddos and hubby, crushed vanilla oreos won hands down!

Thanks again! it was cool to try all the different ones.. I like the grahams with br sugar myself...

Quote by @%username% on %date%