Lace/fondant Question

Decorating By ShortcakesSweets Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm by cakesbybert

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 12

Could someone PLEASE tell me how to make lace out of fondant. I need like a row of "ruffle" lace ~ not a "sheet" of lace. Does that make any sense? Help, please!!

11 replies
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 12

I know you do not want me to reply , but is this what you are looking for ? or something like this ?

http://www.elegantlacemolds.com/molds.php?type=2&set=0

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 12

You can make ruffles with the garret friller but it wont have a design on it.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 12

I haven't done frills for a long time but from memory, you will need to use a 50/50 fondant, gumpaste mix and a garrett frill cutter. You have to roll the paste as thinly as you can and cut a 'circle' with the cutter. Split up the circle so you have a long thin piece of paste and then using a toothpick or a balling tool, frill the edges. Cut to size and apply with water or thin royal icing to the side of the cake, using a few toothpicks to prop up the frill. If you need to make several frilly layers, let the first one dry a bit and apply the second layer on top. As I explained I haven't done this for a while so my description may not be the best but I hope this helps.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 12

. . . if I'm envisioning correctly . . . I might try to use a pasta maker "with" real lace and gumpaste/fondant . . . then gather it as you would if it was real fabric . . . does that make any sense . . . icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

and while we are here . . . can someone show me what a "garrett friller" is capable of doing . . . I'm not familiar with this tool . . . when I google it all I get is a picture of the tool itself . . . still have no idea what it can do . . . thanx in advance . . . thumbs_up.gif

ShortcakesSweets Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 12

I'll try to post a picture in this thread of exactly what I need to re-create. I've never tried to post a picture in a thread and my camera batteries might be too low, so it may take a little while, but I'll get it.
Thanks for everyones replies so far.

ShortcakesSweets Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 12

OK, here goes:
A friend of my sister's ordered this to be re-produced as a Lingere Shower cake to serve 30 people. It's a bit larger than my 9x13" pan, so here's my plans so far: Making a 2 layer 12x18 cake, torte and fill as usual. Carve the cake using the lingere bag as a template. Cover the entire cake with white fondant. I have ordered some edible ink markers to "draw" the lacy design on top of the cake. Then I plan to use fondant accents to do the rest of the trimming, bows, stocking holders, etc.
My question is not necessarily how to ruffle the row of lace on the "boob" and leg part, but how to get the lacy cut-out design? (hope this is all making sense).
And thanks, by the way.
LL

CakeWhizz Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 12

It makes perfect sense now. There are a number of ways to go on this. You can try and buy an embossed rolling pin and use luster dust to highlight the lacy areas. You can also stencil on the lacy design using royal icing. Lastly, you can apply fondant cut outs or royal icing run outs and then pipe in the lace holes using a very fine tube. I've never attempted anything like this before, so please post a picture when you are done and all the best!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 12

i believe that one of my Wilton books has a technique where they take a piece of lace and scrape royal icing over it.

i will have to look into the book when i get home and het back to you

CakeWhizz Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 12

I've just remembered a product called SugarVeil which makes great looking lace. Check them out at http://www.sugarveil.com/

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 12

. . . yup . . . I think the pasta machine with real lace rolled through at the same time would do it . . . but even if you don't have a pasta machine, all you are really looking for is the impression of real lace on your gumpaste/fondant mixture . . . find a beautiful lace from a fabric store and use your rolling pin if you have to (you could also use the lace as a stencil with royal icing - but I'm pretty sure the imprint would be easier to work with than the stencil as far as the finished product when it comes to do the "gathering" step) . . . can't wait to see your finished product . . . thumbs_up.gif

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 12

If you can find lace that matches the lace in the example - you can also roll out your fonant then lay the lace on top of the fondant and then roll over the lace to emboss the pattern into the fonant. Then take a luster dust and lightly go over with a brush to highlight the lace and make it stand out.

I did this on my wedding box cake for the dress that was coming out of the box. It worked pretty good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%