Any Guesses On What This Is Made Of?

Decorating By LadyPol Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm by aswartzw

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 12

Good morning, everyone!

My daughter's best friend would love this cake for her Sweet 16 party - I'm happy to do it for her, but am wondering what the numbers are made of... do you suppose they are gumpaste or do you think they are cardboard? I've never made stand up letters or numbers as I am still fairly new to cake decorating, so any suggestions you have will be most helpful and greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Blessings!

icon_smile.gif
LL

11 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 12

They look like they may be made with the austrian crystal beads, like so many of the wedding cake toppers that are so popular now. I wish I had a link for you, but if you Google crystal cake toppers or wedding cake toppers, I think you will find some similar. HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 12

I don't know why you couldn't make them out of gumpaste. When dry brush with water and sprinkle with cake glitter. I haven't done it but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 12

They're probably gumpaste. Find a font you like and make yourself a template.

Roll out the gumpaste fairly thin and cut out the numbers. Let them dry for at least 24 hours, preferably longer.

You can either insert a toothpick (or skewer) into the bottom of the numbers before they dry or, as I prefer, glue a stick to the back of the numbers after they dry, using royal icing or melted chocolate.

Once dry, brush with piping gel and sprinkle liberally with cake glitter or sanding sugar or pixie dust or sparkle dust or whatever effect you like.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 12

oooohhh I'd use Pixie and then do edible glitter over that icon_smile.gif

Also... if you don't want a stick to show or anything... take your gumpaste numbers... light a candle... take florist wire... heat up the end (stick it in the candle) and stick it up into the number as far as you can...the heat will allow it to go throught the gp easily AND will dry quickly ..meaning the lettering or numbers will not move around on the wire icon_smile.gif ...wrap the end of the wire and stick into the cake or a florist pic that is stuck down into the cake icon_smile.gif Easy peezy icon_smile.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

oooohhh I'd use Pixie and then do edible glitter over that icon_smile.gif

Also... if you don't want a stick to show or anything... take your gumpaste numbers... light a candle... take florist wire... heat up the end (stick it in the candle) and stick it up into the number as far as you can...the heat will allow it to go throught the gp easily AND will dry quickly ..meaning the lettering or numbers will not move around on the wire icon_smile.gif ...wrap the end of the wire and stick into the cake or a florist pic that is stuck down into the cake icon_smile.gif Easy peezy icon_smile.gif

has anyone told you that you are just the smartest? don't mean to hijack the thread, but you are always full of really helpful and GOOD ideas! i'm glad you're around! icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #7 of 12

awww you are making me blush... but I had read this a while back icon_smile.gif ... Just passing it along because I know it works icon_smile.gif

Thank you for the compliment icon_smile.gif

lmpedersen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #9 of 12

I had a fairly large gumpaste topper, and was having a problem with the wire wanting to bend and pull on the cake... I was told to put a "stir stick" or straw into the cake, and then the wire into the straw. icon_smile.gif

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 10:28am
post #10 of 12

gumpaste or fondant with tylose will work, be careful not to roll to thin. when dry just wave the number over the steam from a kettle and then dust with the glitter. i like the idea of putting the stick on the back of the number for stability

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 12

I was going to suggest chocolate or color flow and then you can sprinkle them while still wet.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 12

I was going to suggest chocolate or color flow and then you can sprinkle them while still wet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%