How Do I Store This?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm by ThreeDGirlie

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 8

My son's birthday party is in a month (August 9). I'm making a sheet cake with Elmo from the arms/shoulers up coming out of the cake... Well, I did a head in RKT this morning to see if I could since I've never worked with RKT before and the cake version I tried didnt work out well for me.... RKT is so much more malleable and resilient, LOL! Anyway, it looked pretty good, so I made the fondant features to see how it would look - and am also happy with them.

My question is: Can I somehow store Elmo's head for the next month so I can just use this one and not make a new one? We're not planning to eat this, but he needs to be "good" since he will be touching the rest of the cake (Elmo's shoulders will be cake made in Pyrex bowl) that we WILL be eating.

Can I freeze him? Or just wrap tightly in Saran wrap and Ziploc?

Should I dry the fondant features or wrap well and try to store until closer to the date? If I dry them, should I oput the toothpicks in now or wait until I assemble?

Any advice is apreciated. And here's how he turned out if anyone wants to critique/offer suggestions. His mouth looks kind of big right now, but it will get fur around and on some of the black fondant to it will look better once I pull all of that fur...
LL

7 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 8

Not sure about how to store it. Just wanted to let you know it looks good. Great job!

ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Armywife!

Anyone with thoughts on whether this RKT Elmo can be saved? Or should I just let DS eat it and then make another one closer to the party? Please? icon_redface.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 8

I would say it'd be fine if you wrapped it and had it in an air tight something... icon_smile.gif I've eaten RKT that were about a month old and they were still very nummy and good....and they were in an air tight pan...

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 8

air tight and a trip to the Arctic (aka the freezer) should keep him just fine.

remember to thaw is CLOSED air tight container so no condensation damage.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks all. icon_smile.gif

Any thoughts on the fondant eyes and nose? The mouth is already in there, and it's not coming out...

This is a big relief because my in laws will be in town that week, and I am also making a cake for my mom's group earlier that week. I want to have as much done as possible beforehand so I can throw it all together the day before and morning of the party. I think I'll be making all my cake for that week in the next couple of weeks and putting them in the freezer as well. What would I do without my deep freeze?!?!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 8

big enough container to fit the whole thing as is.

then after defrosting in closed container, can temporarily remove eyes and nose to cover in fondant skin.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Doug!

And might I add: you rock! thumbs_up.gif I have seen so many of your posts, and looked through your cake diagrams - wonderful! It's a good thing I have 2 sons, because somebody is getting a train cake one of these days...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%