Wedding Cake With Pillars - Help Please!

Decorating By karenm0712 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm by terrig007

karenm0712 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7

I need help! I have a potential wedding cake order and the bride would like her cake set-up like this:

Bottom two layers (12 & 10 inch) on top of each other. Okay, got that and shouldn't have any problems. This is where I am nervous - on the next two tiers she wants pillars - so 8" cake on pillars on top of 10", then on top of her 8" will be a 6" on pillars.

I found a picture here on CC of exactly what she wants (not the design, but set-up of cakes):

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=48806

Can someone please help me? She would like for the tops of all cakes to show - so I can't have those plates that sit on top of the cakes - AND she is not going to be using flowers or anything in between the pillars so I was thinking that we wouldn't want too much space - maybe two inches tops in between the cakes on pillars.

Please help! I know I can do this, I just haven't worked with pillars before and am not quite sure what I am doing! icon_sad.gif

Oh yes, and I did look up "ninaannclay15" creator of the cake linked above - but she didn't respond and she has only posted that pic to CC - no forum interaction, nadda.

Indydebi - Sugarshack - Doug - ANYONE? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
bcake1960 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 7

How about these from wilton.. I have some and love them.. no doweling.. and just set the cakes on the pillars when you get to the venue. They have the different sizes which will give you the different spaces you would like.. No Sweat... you will love working with these... pretty much all places sell them. wilton makes them. HTH
LL

Lynn2768 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 7

The 10" & 12" are stacked on top of each others with pillars cut to the length of the top of the 12" cake with a separator plate on top to place the 10" cake on. On both the 10" and 8" cakes measure the pillars the depth of the cake plus the opening desires, add these two numbers and that is the length to cut the pillars. Mark with the separator plate of the 8" cake ont he top of the 10" cake where the pillars go and then push in the pillars and set the separator plate with the 8" cake on top of those pillars and repeat with the 8" cake and the 6" on top. Hope that this helps. Once that you do it, is really is easy! Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

karenm0712 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks to you both!

Assuming this lady pays and returns the contract, I will let everyone know how it turns out!

fabfour Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 7

Once you use the locking pillars (or push in pillars) you won't want to use anything else. Except of course the sps. For all my tiered cakes I use the sps and if the bride wants space in between the tiers for flowers then I use the locking pillars. They are awesome!!!

Missy

karenm0712 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7

Good to hear fabfour! I have never ever used pillars glad to hear reassurance of these locking pillars!

terrig007 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 7

Okay, this may be a dumb question but what is the difference between the SPS and push in pillars? They both have plates attached to it right? I am confused.
Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.
terri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%