Black Fondant Ahhhhhgggghhhh!

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm by eatdessert1st

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:05am
post #1 of 13

Ok is it me or has any one of you had this problem? When I make black fondant out of mmf It gets dry???? and I try adding shortning it gets better then dry again.. whats up with that...?? ANYONE??
oH... i AM USING WILTON PASTE COLOR

12 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #2 of 13

I haven't had that happen... but adding Crisco, should fix that (sounds too dry). I have switched, and now purchase Satin Ice black fondant (comes in several colors, I like red, black and blue) - premixed, less messy!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:59am
post #3 of 13

I also use the
Satin Ice precolored fondant. It is so easy and less time consuming.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:14am
post #4 of 13

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. Where can I find the pre-colored Satin Ice?

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:27am
post #5 of 13

Go to satinice.ca

you can contact Levon...he's the Canadian distributor,I believe...I always go pick mine up at La Gaterie ...his wife Rita owns/runs it...is a designer...they will be able to help you for sure...

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 13

i find in general the more you color fondant or gumpaste the faster it dries out. a little shortening will help and keeping it covered really well, even put a damp cloth over the wrapped fondant can help

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 13

I love SI !!! NO longer do I make MMF.. BUT... if you want to get a true black and red MMF try the chefmaster coloring icon_smile.gif (you add little of the coloring icon_wink.gif )

mashmellow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashmellow Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 13

I start my MMF Black whit colored marshmelows, you get a brown soup before you add the sugar, and that helps to get it black with less color gel.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 13

I've made black fondant with wilton color before (I don't like to use the wilton color but if it's all you have it WILL work eventually) add the color in while the marshmallows are melted. You have to add so much of it that it makes the mmf sticky so you add sugar then it dries out and makes a horrible mess. If you add it while your marshmallows are melted BEFORE you add any powdered sugar it'll help the ratio of sugar to marshmallows stay on track. Just make sure it's good and black so when you add the powdered sugar it doesn't lighten it up too much.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:42pm
post #10 of 13

Ok I like the idea of the Satin Ice. I think I need to invest in some to have on hand for the times when I need the Black and even maybe some red.. your are right, It's WAY too time consuming.. How long of a shelf life does it have? and has anybody scoped detective.gif out the best place to purchase?? Thanks all..

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #11 of 13

I use the Americolor Gel coloring. That doesn't dry out the fondant. In small batches, I find myself using powdered sugar to help dry it a bit because it gets too wet. But in large batches, it works great!

Also, I'm lazy when it comes to coloring fondant!! I hate it!! If I can, I airbrush the color on after rolling it on white. Or, I too use the Satin Ice premixed colors! LOVE THEM! But, they're a bit pricey. $10.00 for 2.5lbs or something like that.

I did ask my CA distributor if they ever considered putting together a "Primary Color Combo Pack" of the premixed Satin Ice and they said, "No." Hahahaha I would by 20lbs of the premixed if I could get it for around the same price as 20lbs of the white! Who wouldn't?? It's such a time saver!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #12 of 13

Global Sugar Art has a good sale on now.

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 13

How does the black satin ice fondant taste? I used their red fondant once and thought it tasted just awful icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%