Suggestions For Layout And Colors, Please

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 4:37am by bizatchgirl

bizatchgirl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:30am
post #1 of 9

OK, these are going on a 1/2 sheet cake. The onesies are so big it doesn't leave me much room to be picky about the layout. I should have taken pics on the cake pan so you could see it better! Anyway, 2 questions.

What kind of layout should I go for? I need to try to still fit some kind of message on there. I'm even thinking about cutting one of the onesies at an angle so I can lay them on top of eachother.

2nd question...I can't ice smooth worth a darn. Will this be too busy with the onesies and flowers if I do sort of a quilted type pattern?
LL

8 replies
Amia Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:42am
post #2 of 9

First of all, your onesies are super cute!

As far as layout, I don't have any real idea of the scale of the onesies vs. the pan. You could lay one in each top corner at a diagonal angle (so the onesies meet in the middle), will they fit like that? If not, I think the overlapping idea would be cute! If there isn't much visible space on the top, I don't think I'd worry that much about smoothing. Maybe just do the quilting on the sides?

I hope I helped a little, but I don't think I did. icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:51am
post #3 of 9

I think you could do it if you angled them inward to make a V and added the booties overlapping on the pink one and the bottle one the blue one.. did your writing and scattered the flowers around that ot around the border. Overlapping the onsies would work too, but if they are dry.. they could crack if you cut them. Play with them ontop of your 11x15 pan and see what you can come up with. It's hard to really tell you not knowing exactly how big they are.

jess85 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 9

can you write on the board? or a plaque? they are really cute. i think you could probably arange them overlapping, maybe put some of the accents on the board too? as for the icing, you wont see it much anyway but the quilting would fit with the theme for sure

jess85 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 9

can you write on the board? or a plaque? they are really cute. i think you could probably arange them overlapping, maybe put some of the accents on the board too? as for the icing, you wont see it much anyway but the quilting would fit with the theme for sure

sarahpierce Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 9

Can you write your message on a banner made with fondant? Then you can lay it across the cake and it won't cover up too much of your cute design.

bizatchgirl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for all the suggestions! Of course, the mama of the baby girl went into labor early so now it's going to be a shower just for the daddy of the baby boy. So, I no longer have the space issue, just more of the icing issue! I love the idea of the banner so I think I will mix that in somehow and do the quilting if my icing job stinks.

Thanks for helping me figure it out!

bizatchgirl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks amia1024! They were so much fun. I can't wait to do them again. I already have ideas on how to improve the design.

bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:37am
post #9 of 9

OK, it's done!!! You can see that it would have been tight with both onesies on there. So, it worked out ok that mama decided to go into labor early icon_lol.gif It just means I'll get to do another cake when she gets back to work, since I have the shoes, onesie and flowers already made up. I still can't ice worth a darn but my border turned out ok and I am SUPREMELY happy with this cake icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%