What Is The Best Of The Best Cake Recipe Book Out There???

Decorating By CocoaBlondie Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm by pirogilady

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #31 of 55

Well I guess it enlarges but you can't read it--the devil is in the details!

If you want it,

Please email me--not a pm please at

k8 memphis (at) yahoo (dot) com

remove all spaces

so I can just hit reply

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:24pm
post #32 of 55
Quote:
Quote:

I hope it will enlarge if you click on it. If it doesn't enlarge I could email it, pm me.

It worked perfectly -- thanks a million!

Whimsical Bakehouse... I personally can't rave enough about her recipes and techniques. Her fillings and icings are wonderful -- and easy to make.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

The Cake Bible was the first cake book I bought about 4 years ago when I really wanted to get into cake baking. Maybe I was just doing something wrong, but all of the cakes I tried from this book have been dry and fall apart. I have since bought many new cake books and will try one of the recipes here and there from the Cake Bible and still get bad results. She has great sounding recipes in there, I just haven't been able to have any success at it. But it sounds like many others have lots of success with hers, so like I said, maybe I'm doing something wrong...

You are not alone. I mean some people love the book, but it is a common consensus that her cake formulas don't work. It works for her, it works for some but the kindest way to say it is it's not versatile, the cake formulas haven't translated well into different kitchens across the lands.

She's got a nice website.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:33pm
post #34 of 55

Is there a good site to purchase the whimsical bakehouse or any or these other great books?

TejasRebel Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #35 of 55

I generally use Amazon.com -- decent pricing and free shipping if you're willing to wait a little bit.

But here's this too...

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #37 of 55

Overstock . com is a good one too sometimes.

I agree w/ whoever said the recipes here on CC are great - they are!!
I also have a book I bought cheap at Barnes & Noble called "The Cake Mix Bible" and saw one similar to it at Sam's yesterday. As someone who likes to doctor mixes, it's a great reference tool for me.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

I have Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes book and have tried about 6 or 7 of her cake recipes from this book. All of them have been fantastic, and have given me the best results. In fact, I did her coconut cake recipe for my nephew's birthday party a couple weeks ago and everyone just loved it.

I have never had any success with Marthas recipes. Made the marble cake from her wedding cake book last weekend and had to throw the whole thing out.

Have had great success with whimsical bakehouse cake and frosting's and kate sullivans hummingbird cake.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:59pm
post #39 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Also fifty year old cookbooks often have killer scratch cake recipes in amongst the fried chicken & stuff. .

I totally agree with you. I found an old cookbook from mid 50's - at the thrift store for 50 cents. It has all of those great old recipes in it - just like grandma's.

CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:05pm
post #40 of 55

Thanks for all the internet sites to check icon_biggrin.gif . It sure saves you time when you know where to look. My conclusion thus far is The Cake Mix Bible, Martha Stewarts wedding cakes, & Whimsical Bakehouse. These are looking like the most voted ones. thumbs_up.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:14pm
post #41 of 55

I am a total cookbook addict, and my favorite, hands down, is the WBH cookbook. Every single thing I have made from it (almost all of the recipes) has been delish.

TejasRebel Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #42 of 55

So glad to learn I'm not the only cookbook junkie! icon_lol.gif

Dru329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dru329 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #43 of 55

I've been wondering the same about recipe books. There are TONS out there and I haven't bought any because I don't know which is the best choice for my $.

laynie72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laynie72 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #44 of 55

So glad you ask this question... which one of these books has the easiest recipes from scrach? I have the mix cake bible already ....

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #45 of 55

My Favs
For scratch cakes - the Bakers Dozen (still testing, but looks awesome)
For the best buttercreams - the Whimsical Bake House (but have not tried cake recipes yet)
For doctored cake mixes - The Cake Mix Dr. ( may cake mix bible right now)

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:07pm
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchristi27

No book needed. The recipe gallery on CC has the best of the best in my opinion! :O)

I have to agree on this one. Also, you punch in what your feeling on the internet and presto, it's there to try.
Betty Crockers old book my mom had given me is good.
The joy of baking.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #47 of 55

Sky High is about 221 pages and they have recipes in there like tiramisu, vanilla bean, Sour cream choco cake with peanut butter creamcheese icing(Just made this two days ago and "OH MY GOSH" it was awesome).
Theres chocolate lovers cakes, vanilla lovers, fruit lovers, nut and spice cakes, cakes with a world of flavor and holiday and special occasion. By far my fav book!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #48 of 55

CC does have the best recipes! For more free recipes try Recipezaar.com. My new favorite cake recipe book is one that my husband already had in his collection. It's The Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cooking by Chef John Folse. Not only does it have wonderful scratch recipes like grandma made, but he gives you the history and traditions behind them. It's where I found the Gateau de Figue (Fig Cake) recipe I tried Sunday.

I've always been a book junkie. Like some of you, my husband and I are recipe book junkies - he's a barbecue fanatic and also loves to cook lots of different things - soul food, comfort food, Italian, Cuban and Brazilian dishes, etc. But I am the baker and when I became interested in cake decorating, I wanted to buy every book in sight. But, the old addage is true - don't judge a book by its cover. So many of them have great cover photos but no substance between the covers.

I have borrowed every cake decorating book our library offers. I like to make sure a book is worth the money before purchasing it. I also spent time at nearby Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million stores reviewing books that the library didn't have.

If you don't have a decent library or bookstore in your area, you can also learn a lot by reading customer reviews on the Amazon.com website, as well as reading comments in the CC forums!

I'm also cheap...u-hum...frugal, so I shop for used books on Amazon.com and eBay. You'd be amazed at the prices. I purchased The Cake Bible for about $12 (haven't tried any of the recipes yet). I got Peggy Porschen's Pretty Party Cakes for $1.38 and $3.99 shipping! It was sold as "Used", but it was brand new.

Gonna do some reading now. icon_smile.gif

CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #49 of 55

BakerzJoy this sky high book sounds awesome thumbs_up.gif . I'm putting it on my list!!! I want to try all the recipe you described icon_biggrin.gif

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #50 of 55

The Sky High book is AWESOME!!! My mom got it for me a few months ago, and it's just WONDERFUL!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #51 of 55

P.S. About the Burnt Sugar cake recipe, you can also find it in My New Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook 27th Printing 1938. (I won it on eBay not too long ago.) icon_biggrin.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaBlondie

Is there a good site to purchase the whimsical bakehouse or any or these other great books?

This has become my "go to " site for cake books:
http://www.ecookbooks.com/nsearch.aspx?keywords=whimsical+bakehouse

I usually get the reviews off of Amazon.com, but purchase from the above site. (a.k.a. www.jessicasbiscuit.com)
Fast shipping, great prices, decent shipping charges!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:00am
post #53 of 55

I'll also add Crazy About Cupcakes by Krystina Castella. While it's all cupcake recipes, they translate well into cake layers - I got my coconut cake recipe and sour cream chocolate cake recipe (my basic chocolate cake) from this book.

CocoaBlondie Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #54 of 55

rezzycakes - Thank you so much for this post. I went to amazon to check out all the books & almost purchased them, then went to your site you posted. I got all the books I wanted new for less $ & received free shipping, free coffee, & free sub. to Gourmet mag. WHAT A DEAL thumbs_up.gif I ending up buying Whimsical Bakehouse, The Cake Mix Doctor, & Sky High. Thanks everyone for all your help, I feel very confident about my purchases icon_biggrin.gif

pirogilady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pirogilady Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 5:28pm
post #55 of 55

hi, there are many- it really i think all depends on who are you as a baker. more traditional, more basic, more adventurous, from scratch or not really, how deep lies your interest in baking. there are many good books for every level and direction of interest. there are books that offer simplicity and then there are books that offer almost science- taking time to explain how everything is affecting everything else.
Also- there are DECORATING books and there are baking books- I am sure you know the difference. I never make the recipes fromt he decorating books- I use their techniques and ideas for decorating. but the insides of my cakes- I like to learn more about, use creative and different tastes... although I LOVE cooking light magazine believe it or not- for many many cakes- as I prefer light tasting desserts you don't feel like you swallowed a brick from- my favourite remains somewhat long, yet VERY education THE CAKE BIBLE by Rose Levy Beranbaum. yes it's more work, yes it's not light, but you LEARN SOOO much from her. I can read it as a book, learn and then apply it to other recipes.
hope that gives you more ideas...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%