Double Chocolate Layer Cake From Epicurious ???

Baking By akgirl10 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm by akgirl10

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:29am
post #1 of 3

I've made this cake a few times, and the flavor is excellent! But, the cake falls in the middle every time, and more so in a big pan. I use bake even strips, flower nail in the middle. I'm starting to think something is a little "off" about the recipe, it seems too wet. Has anyone had any success decreasing the liquid in this recipe? I really want to make this for a friend's birthday, but I don't want an ugly cake! TIA

2 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #2 of 3

I can't say for sure about why your cake fell, but...although I am a huge fan of the Scott Clark Woolley "fudge brownie cake" I'm going to try the Epicurious recipe again with the tweaks suggested on egullet.com. They seem to have good success with it when using the following adjustments (scroll down the page to the post by Steven Blaski http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=41144&st=330

I'd actually recommend reading the whole thread (20+ pages of chocolate cake tests!!) but the Epicurious cake info starts right around that page, maybe the page before. Read the pages after too, for more suggestions icon_smile.gif

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the link! I started reading last night and finished up this morning. I think I'll use the first "tweaked" recipe and see how it turns out. Thanks again thumbs_up.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%