Mad Scientist Cake

Decorating By serialbabe1968 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 2:50am by luvbakin

serialbabe1968  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a mad scientist sheet cake for 50 people with the 2 images below combined into 1 cake. The woman just wanted a plain vanilla no filling cake. I quoted her $150.00 which she was fine with. I just feel so guilty because I feel like I have way overcharged her. I am not sure if I will be doing buttercream transfer or just the star tips. I am thinkin of reducing the price of the cake to maybe $125. What do you guys think? This is only my second paid cake, I usually do them for free for family and church.
thank you
Angelika
LL

7 replies
serialbabe1968 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

here is the second
LL

luvbakin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 8

Cute cakes. At $150.00 that would make it $3.00 per serving for a cake with no filling. What do bakers in your area charge for a buttercream cake with no filling??? I think it all depends on that.

serialbabe1968 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #4 of 8

Looking at websites anywhere from $45 for a plain to to $250 for elaborate. THen there are the Costco's, Walmarts and Publix that charge so little for cakes. What is the standart for decorated sheet cake prices?

alanahodgson  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 8

don't compare yourself to grocery and warehouse stores! you can't compete with that kind of mass production! Call around to some bakeries-just pretend to be a customer and ask about their pricing.

luvbakin Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 8

I know where I live a standard half sheet cake goes for $75 at a bakery, and at Costco it's $15.00. I think the $75 price for the bakery is for just standard flowers, and not decorated like a mad scientist.

I think you should call a couple bakeries in the area and act like a potential client and ask what they would charge for the cake you are making.

Good luck.

serialbabe1968 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #7 of 8

THank you all for your replies. I feel like such an itdiot. I send her an e-mail telling her that I over charged her for the cake. That it will be $125 and I will give her the second layer and filling for free. I really felt guilty. Then when I started doing more research , boy, did I undercharge her. The cheapest character sheet cakes are going for $250.00 . Oh, well. Nothing new. Last cake I charged for was the train cake that I made. I only charged the client $140.00. She is a photographer and does a lot of weddings, could not believe how little I charged. SHe said that I could have charged easily 3 times as much.
I didn't because she only asked for the trains the rest I gave for free.
ANd this new client was at her son's party so I felt bad charging her more for the cake that will not have as much more.
anyways,
thank you all so much.
angelika

luvbakin Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #8 of 8

I'm so sorry. Maybe she will give you a tip. In the end it's a lesson learned. I think this type of thing is normal when first starting out.

Good luck in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%