Mad Scientist Cake

Decorating By serialbabe1968 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 2:50am by luvbakin

serialbabe1968 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 8

I am doing a mad scientist sheet cake for 50 people with the 2 images below combined into 1 cake. The woman just wanted a plain vanilla no filling cake. I quoted her $150.00 which she was fine with. I just feel so guilty because I feel like I have way overcharged her. I am not sure if I will be doing buttercream transfer or just the star tips. I am thinkin of reducing the price of the cake to maybe $125. What do you guys think? This is only my second paid cake, I usually do them for free for family and church.
thank you
Angelika
LL

7 replies
serialbabe1968 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 8

here is the second
LL

luvbakin Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #3 of 8

Cute cakes. At $150.00 that would make it $3.00 per serving for a cake with no filling. What do bakers in your area charge for a buttercream cake with no filling??? I think it all depends on that.

serialbabe1968 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #4 of 8

Looking at websites anywhere from $45 for a plain to to $250 for elaborate. THen there are the Costco's, Walmarts and Publix that charge so little for cakes. What is the standart for decorated sheet cake prices?

alanahodgson Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #5 of 8

don't compare yourself to grocery and warehouse stores! you can't compete with that kind of mass production! Call around to some bakeries-just pretend to be a customer and ask about their pricing.

luvbakin Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 8

I know where I live a standard half sheet cake goes for $75 at a bakery, and at Costco it's $15.00. I think the $75 price for the bakery is for just standard flowers, and not decorated like a mad scientist.

I think you should call a couple bakeries in the area and act like a potential client and ask what they would charge for the cake you are making.

Good luck.

serialbabe1968 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:28am
post #7 of 8

THank you all for your replies. I feel like such an itdiot. I send her an e-mail telling her that I over charged her for the cake. That it will be $125 and I will give her the second layer and filling for free. I really felt guilty. Then when I started doing more research , boy, did I undercharge her. The cheapest character sheet cakes are going for $250.00 . Oh, well. Nothing new. Last cake I charged for was the train cake that I made. I only charged the client $140.00. She is a photographer and does a lot of weddings, could not believe how little I charged. SHe said that I could have charged easily 3 times as much.
I didn't because she only asked for the trains the rest I gave for free.
ANd this new client was at her son's party so I felt bad charging her more for the cake that will not have as much more.
anyways,
thank you all so much.
angelika

luvbakin Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #8 of 8

I'm so sorry. Maybe she will give you a tip. In the end it's a lesson learned. I think this type of thing is normal when first starting out.

Good luck in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%