How Do I Stack 12 Inch ( Several Layers) On 7Inch ( Several

Decorating By al_australia Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 12:33am by al_australia

al_australia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
al_australia Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi before i give this a go would love some advice as to stacking my cakes do i need to put a cake board under each cake? the height of the 12 inch needs to be a least 6 inch and about 4 inches high for the 7 inch. Also is a 6mm thick board strong enough to use for the base for support or should i double it?
thanks would LOVEEEE some help i dont want to stuff this up.....

5 replies
tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 6

Each cake needs its own board. And I wouldn't double the cake board for the 7". I just double it when it's a tier that is getting plenty more tiers on it and it's not the very bottom tier.
That sounds like quite a difference in tier sizes!

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 6

So, is this an upside-down-tiered cake? Like from Mike's Amazing Cakes? The way I read it, the 7-inch is on the bottom, right? I think you need some type of special support to hold a 12-inch with the 7. It will need a support board under the 12, plus some "hidden" pillars from Wilton or maybe the SPS I've heard so much about? Here's a bump, maybe someone out there has done one of these.

al_australia Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 6

sorry no the 7 inch is on top the 12 inch on the bottom, god no im not that good.... to make an upside down cake sounds very interesting though. thanks for your help going to board each cake fingers crossed first wedding cake i will be doing

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #5 of 6

I'd be using dowels or skewers as well or the weight from your top cake will sink into your bottom cake. There's some info and links here http://cakedec.forumotion.com/cake-stuff-f3/how-hard-is-it-to-stack-a-cake-t2004.htm?highlight=stack that might be of use to you.

HTH

al_australia Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 12:33am
post #6 of 6

thanks so much for that link, im really stressing now as i think i should have put a wooden skewer ( support ) in the centre of the bottom 12 inch to give more support ........ never doing a wedding cake again so stressful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%