Need Advice! And Venting!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 16 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm by wildflower

step0nmi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 38

so, this local event planner in my area found me on myspace (i know a lot of you don't like it but I have gotten some decent contacts through it) anyway...we talked a couple of weeks ago about me doing HER own wedding cake! I was excited! I could tell she wanted to test me out to see if she would want to refer me to others and we seemed to really click! I found exactly what she wanted...actually, one of the first cake photos I sent her had looked EXACTLY like her dress...but just that weekend she found a different dress while out with a bride. So, we talked about a bunch of diff. things and seemed to hit it off, I sent photos, she like photos, yadda yadda yadda...she then found this real high fashioned cake online and wanted that one...I gave her a quote. Now (do NOT throw stones at me!!) I am at home baker and she was needing someone to cut her cake...I said depending on the time of day I may be able to come back to serve...I told her this would ONLY be for her since this is the first time we would be working together. anyway...I gave her quotes for the two cakes that she wanted like a week ago...and I realize it was the holiday weekend...but I know she's been on myspace so I know she's checked her email.
I sent this to her Sunday she may have just gotten back from where-ever or doing whatever weddings...this is what I sent:

"I know you are probably busy over this past weekend but I was just wondering if you received my emails about the price quotes and sampling? I am hoping to make samples this week and my other bride can get them on Friday...if you would like them sooner please let me know.
If you are not wanting my services as well, please let me know. I can always change anything on the cakes to make the prices different.

If you'd like to you can call me..."

it is now Tuesday and I haven't heard from her about anything! not even the samples! which I told her I was doing them this week like 2 weeks I being too pushy by sending that email? should I wait another day? I'm really worried I quoted too high because I really need the money and would love to do her cake since either cake would both be something new for me to do!

help! freaking out! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in Advance!

37 replies
bevyd Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 38

Don't freak--except it for what is. She does not want to use your service. I will not get on my soap box about her piss poor professionalism icon_smile.gif you gave her options, she choose not to use them.Move on.

tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 38

She never gave you a phone to contact her? Do you think she was trying to scam you?

terrig007 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 38

I would probably wait another day to contact her again. You're planning on making samples for another bride, you can always freeze some if she doesn't get back to you right away.
I hope that you won't sell yourself short though as far as prices are concerned to try to please her and make some contacts through her. I just got concerned that you said you would change to make the prices different, she may be trying to test you to see if you'll drop the price substantially for her and may have two or three other people in mind as well.
As for Myspace-whatever works for you should be fine and nothing for anyone else to worry about.
Edited to add: In retrospect I wouldn't bother with anymore emails. I think the others are right.

eatdessert1st Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 38

I suggest holding off on anymore emails. Since she's the client she'll contact you if she's really serious about the order. I know you're really excited about the order and have already done a lot of research but I think the ball is in her court, now. It gets kinda creepy for potential clients if the baker keeps emailing... you don't want to become a "cake stalker."
If you don't hear from her in a few weeks maybe email her and ask if she still wants to book that date as you have had an inquiry by another potential client for that particular date. That way she either books or not but she's had some time to look around.
Just my humble 2 cents icon_smile.gif

Good luck,

Melanie Mc.

superstar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 38

It sounds like she has changed her mind & hasn't got the manners to call you & say so. I do think you have done all you can, my advice is just let it go.

MomLittr Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 38

I would say give her a phone call - some folks just read e-mail and move on, and forget to respond (especially if they have a full mailbox). Truthfully I think a phone call is much better than an e-mail anyway.

YAYI95 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #8 of 38

I wouldn't email her already did and gave her all the information needs...If you were the potential customer would you want to keep getting emails???..she may have changed her mind or is just busey but don't sell yourself short when it comes to your pricing....

ziggytarheel Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 38

I think she might be trying to make you squirm. Or she isn't that responsible or easy to work with.

Either way, please do not contact her again, and do not give her a price break.

indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 38

Maybe she did like a lot of folks did and took some vacation time around the holiday?

I wouldn't pursue it. If she wants you, she'll call. My brides don't make their decision in 24 hours after meeting me. They are comparison shopping. They are information gathering. They are going to check out other cakers before making a final decision.

step0nmi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 38

yes...I do have her phone number...but we were doing fine talking through email and on the phone frequently.

I think I will chalk it up to...she went on vacation over the holiday...I know she is back and maybe she is thinking...I told her what day I wanted to bring by maybe she will contact me tomorrow or something.

Thanks for all the great and nice advice! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:44pm
post #12 of 38's friday and still no word icon_sad.gif ...I just don't get people sometimes...i really thought I was going to get to do one of these cakes for her. just goes to show that a home baker can charge more and loose business to the other guys...please don't throw stones at a sad decorator?

tonedna Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 38

awww...hugs! ....sorry about that..

step0nmi Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:04pm
post #14 of 38

thanks tonedna! that helps! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #15 of 38

anytime girl...more will come..she wont be the last one
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #16 of 38

I would be blown away that she is sooo irresponsible... she should of at least called you! icon_sad.gif

Sorry about that hun but bigger and better things are to come icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:23pm
post #17 of 38

thanks Christi! that's what I was thinking! I AM kind of ticked off about that!

i dunno! this might have been my premiere at the local "go to" venue of my little town icon_sad.gif and even though I've done wedding style cakes...this would have only been my second actual wedding.

THANK YOU THOUGH! really! you guys are so awesome!

superstar Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:30pm
post #18 of 38

Lots of hugs to you. Remember good thing are just around the corner. This person really has no manners.

Mac Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:47pm
post #19 of 38

An event planner that doesn't respond back is not one that I would want to do business with.

Count your blessings! There will be more clients coming around.

step0nmi Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #20 of 38

thank you superstar...i am really glad that I can come here and have my thoughts validated...only because sometimes I feel like I am jumping the gun or thinking that maybe I am a bother...but an email just to say that she is shopping or found someone new would've been nice.

I would rather come on here and vent then send her another email saying "WTF"! lol icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 12:26am
post #21 of 38
Originally Posted by Mac

An event planner that doesn't respond back is not one that I would want to do business with.

Count your blessings! There will be more clients coming around.

yea...and its for her own wedding! LOL...thank you!

step0nmi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #22 of 38

HA HA! guess who just emailed me...TODAY!

her excuse: some bride was canceling on her for the 18th of July. and I guess her mom wants to help pay for the cake...hmmm...I guess she still wants me to do it! ;D

poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #23 of 38

Yea maybe it will work out for you now that you've heard from her.

Good luck icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:28pm
post #24 of 38

ugh! I do NOt know if I want to deal with this woman...this is really the reason I don't want to get into the wedding business.

she emails me sorry she didn't get back to me on the cakes because she had a bride cancel on her...okay, maybe she was depressed and rushed dealing with the cancellations of things...I get that!
but then she is like...How much is it for the groom's cake? when she did NOT tell me in which style she wanted it in! she wanted a Guinness cake....I asked her... one with a logo or a sculpted one?...because we had already been through this and she did not choose. I also asked her to refresh my memory on how many she wanted to serve all together...and when she refreshed my memory I realized that we totally went backwards in conversation....she tells me she wants each cake to feed 75...which means she is inviting 150 guests...when we had discussed that she is not going to want to have all that cake because she is going to have the chocolate fountains as I just want to tell her I can't do it icon_cry.gif but I need the money soo bad icon_cry.gif

pugmama1 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #25 of 38

Wedding planners by nature seem very particular and have their own vision of the way they want things. The good ones are very detailed and demanding. In my experience with the one for my son's wedding, it took a while for me to find the person behind all the agendas but in the end I found her to be a delightful lady. I don't think you mentioned anything written down yet. Maybe if you have the actual in-person meeting with her and get it all down on paper, you can make a better decision for yourself whether you want to take on the task.

step0nmi Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:48pm
post #26 of 38

i ended up just emailing her some quotes for each cake and a sculpted groom's cake and regular shaped groom's cake...yes, I have been asking her to meet up with me for about 3 weeks...she has not given me a time that she can do that.

thanks pugmama

Mac Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #27 of 38

I understand that you could use the money but dang...she is TOO much work. YOU shouldn't be doing all the work to get her business...she, as a bride AND a professional should be putting forth more effort for what she is asking you to do. Just my 2 cents.

step0nmi Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #28 of 38
Originally Posted by Mac

I understand that you could use the money but dang...she is TOO much work. YOU shouldn't be doing all the work to get her business...she, as a bride AND a professional should be putting forth more effort for what she is asking you to do. Just my 2 cents.

yes, I was thinking about that this morning...but I think the factor that she just threw in was the fact that someone else wanted to help pay for it(her/his mom?)...when you have a 3rd party it is harder to decide on what to do...I think once they say which quote they will like I will ask to meet with her. I will actually demand to meet with her..because email just doesn't work and I need to get everything in writing.
thank you...that is really good advice...but this could be about $400-$600 wedding...i really need it because school is coming up again.

Mac Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #29 of 38

I'm just saying this is the July 15th. Didn't you say the wedding is July 18th??? I know that some brides' wait until the last minute on cakes but HECK, she's an event planner. She isn't very organized.

If you take this and bust your tail to get everything done by Saturday, when she has "booked" weddings to do and they want you to make the cake...she is going to be just like this again. She is setting a POOR example for other brides.

I wouldn't care if there is a third or fourth party involved in paying for the cake. The only one that should be making the decision on how the cake should look would be the bride and groom. I definitely wouldn't work with her...SHE'S TOO SQUIRRELLY!!!

step0nmi Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:26pm
post #30 of 38

oh no! i think SHE had a bride that canceled for July the 18th...that is not her cake

the cake/wedding is for Aug. 30th

Quote by @%username% on %date%