Help With Bananas Please

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 5:27am by mjarvis78

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 9

I am making some tropical desserts for a going away party for a friend of mine who is moving to hawaii. My question is - I am making some stuff that will have sliced bananas in it and I am wanting to make these desserts on Friday and they will not be eaten until Saturday evening, what do I need to do so the bananas won't turn that ugly brown/black color? is there something that can be done or am I just out of luck? thanks everyone

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 9

dip them in lemon juice is the usual method.
something about the acid stops the browning.

then of course keep them far away from air -- this can be accomplished by burying them under lots of pudding, filling, goo, alcohol

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 9

there will be quite a bit of banana so can I just fill a bowl with lemon juice and then dump all the bananas in and then just pour thru a strainer to drain of the juice?

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 9

Doug, would sliced bananas stay ok inside the cake with a filling (like buttercream or bettercreme) as long as they're dipped? I always thought about using sliced bananas, but thought by the time we eat the cake the bananas would be yucky brown... icon_confused.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

there will be quite a bit of banana so can I just fill a bowl with lemon juice and then dump all the bananas in and then just pour thru a strainer to drain of the juice?

sure, go for it! (well, unless you're me who'd figure out a way to spill it all over!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina

Doug, would sliced bananas stay ok inside the cake with a filling (like buttercream or bettercreme) as long as they're dipped? I always thought about using sliced bananas, but thought by the time we eat the cake the bananas would be yucky brown... icon_confused.gif

air (that dreaded free-radical inducing oxidation agent) causes the browning.

the citric acid in lemon juice neutralizes the chemicals in the bananas that turn brown when exposed to air.

then, if you stash them away someplace, like inside a cake smothered in BC where the air can't get to them, they won't brown much at all -- tho' they will continue to "ripen" and get softer and softer -- so still need to serve them "soon" (day or 2)

personally I'd mix them w/ boston creme filling -- yum -- banana creme pie filling (toss in a few vanilla wafers.....)

tdybear1978 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 9

thank you so much

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 9

ok... i'm hungry for a big bowl of my mom's old fashioned southern banana pudding now...

oh, sorry to hijack... glad to have this info though... i'd been thinking about making a banana cream filling... i have some bavarian cream and might add soem sliced bananas to it. yummmmmm

tdybear1978 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:07am
post #8 of 9

oooh banana pudding sounds soooo yummmy

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:27am
post #9 of 9

I also soak bananas in sprite so they dont turn color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%