How To Make Your Own Cupcake Stand

Baking By micnmax2003 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

cakesbyouie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyouie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #31 of 53

I don't have a picture of mine, but when a friend of mine got married she asked me to make cupcakes. With my Dad being a carpenter, I asked him to cut some circles out of a thin sheet of plywood. As risers, I found some inexpensive wooden candle holders at the Dollar Store, and had him screw it all together. It looked really cute, and I was able to put alot of cupcakes on it, because the candle holders weren't huge.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #32 of 53

so has anyone figured out exactlly how much they cost to make?? or does anyone care to share how much they charge to rent them out or if you take a deposit on them or what??

cakesbyouie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyouie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #33 of 53

Mine cost less than $15 to make, but I would rent it out. I don't do cakes for anyone but close friends and family so I wouldn't have a clue what to charge for rent. It's one of those things that I like to have on hand just in case and my circles are just the right size and strength for round cakes, so I don't have to buy a cake stand.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm
post #34 of 53

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I couldn't get the instructions for the square one to load!!! I could see the pic but couldn't get the instructions!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

(this is me whining...)

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #35 of 53

Thanks everyone. It cost me about $15 to make and I charged the customer $20 and didn't ask for it back. But if I had to do it again I would rent it and get it back. I'm going to ask my dad to make me a wooden one. He made me that great square one that Antonia74 uses but I haven't had any takers on using that one yet.......so sad.

I uploaded the picture onto photobucket and then just copy and pasted the image code. I couldn't upload directly from here for some reason. Hope that helps.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #36 of 53

This would be a great display for cupcake dummies (which are also very easy to make.) I think I smell a project coming on... icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #37 of 53

Cupcake dummies------I was thinking of making a bunch of them to display on the square wooden tiers for the shop. It's time consuming but I think my customers would be more intrigued seeing it in front of them instead of the pictures I've been showing. May I ask what you use for your cupcake dummies? I know someone had suggested using spray foam into the liners.

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:21pm
post #38 of 53

I spray DAP foam into the cupcake liners. It rounds out beautifully at the top and they are light weight.

idali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idali Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #39 of 53

Very informative thank you! IC

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #40 of 53

I made a 3 tier glass cupcake stand and it cost about $8. I bought 3 different sizes of clear class plates at Walmart. I bought sundae cups for $1 each. I flipped the sundae cup upside down and set it between each tier. I glued the tiers with glass glue. I tried to post a pic, but it's not working right now. Sorry.

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #41 of 53

wow adonisthegreek, that sounds pretty cool. Would love to see a pic if you get it to work.

Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:23pm
post #42 of 53

DAP foam? Hmmmmm........I will definately give that a try. Thanks Bobwonderbuns!!

Adonisthegreek----your stand is so elegant and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #43 of 53

DAP foam - what a great idea!!

Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm
post #44 of 53

I found a 12 oz can of DAP foam at home depot. May I ask how many cupcakes you got out of that one can............if you've used the whole can yet??

Thanks--Cyndi

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #45 of 53

I haven't used a whole can yet, but it makes TONS of cupcakes! You only need to fill the liner about 1/2 full because the DAP expands so much. Plus it's lightweight! icon_biggrin.gif

Cyndi1207 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #46 of 53

Good to know........Thanks!! Knowing me I would have loaded up on that stuff icon_smile.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDreamsAT

cupcakeshoppe- I just made my first one - it was 16", 14", 12", 10" and held about 54 cupcakes... in case that helps.

your stand is beautiful. what did you to divide the tiers. its looks clear?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:20pm
post #48 of 53

I just want to add that I recently purchased a cupcake stand at my local cake shop that I love.. It has five various size plates that can be assembled in any configuration needed. I think you could get up to 100 cupcakes on it with a small cake on the top too.. It cost $55.00 but I am sure I will be using it a lot, and it can be taken apart easily for storage.. It is pictured in my photo I uploaded today.. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1267570.html

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #49 of 53

Thank you for the compliment ZAKIA6! The dividers are just cheapie round glass vases from the craft store. I hot glued them in place with about 5 spots of glue. It seems really sturdy, but I'm not sure I would rely on the glue to keep them in place forever icon_confused.gif

ZAKIA6 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

I just want to add that I recently purchased a cupcake stand at my local cake shop that I love.. It has five various size plates that can be assembled in any configuration needed. I think you could get up to 100 cupcakes on it with a small cake on the top too.. It cost $55.00 but I am sure I will be using it a lot, and it can be taken apart easily for storage.. It is pictured in my photo I uploaded today.. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1267570.html

looks great. where did you purchase it from?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:41pm
post #51 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

I bought it at Sweet Wise in Nashville.. I am not sure who the mfg is but I can check with her on Tuesday and let you know..

ZAKIA6 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #52 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKIA6

I bought it at Sweet Wise in Nashville.. I am not sure who the mfg is but I can check with her on Tuesday and let you know..

thanks so much!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #53 of 53

i had mine made for my niece's birthday. 24" 20" 16" 12". we painted it white and glued yellow ribbon. it's relly pretty. will upload pics from the party tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%