Quick! Please Help!

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 1:29am by KarenOR

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 14

I made gumpaste bride and groom figurines and I'm going to have to take them tomorrow morning on a two day car ride.
I had an idea today that could either be brilliant or stupid. Tell me which.

The figures are sitting down and they are dry for the most part, but their hands especially are still fragile. I thought about wrapping in bubble wrap, but it doesn't seem like it would offer the best support.

The question: What if I poured white sugar into a container, placed the figurines in there and then covered them for the most part. The granulated sugar would fill in the delicate areas.

Is it brilliant or stupid? Thanks!!!!

13 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 14

I'd do salt --

less likely to absorb moisture from air and therefore less likely to clump or stick to the figures. -- not to mention the finer grain will fill in even tighter.

very small grain rice or pasta (the stuff that looks like little seeds - orzo? - would work well too and be even less susceptible to the humidity.

question is -- and how will you get them out without breaking them. (and can just see me trying to pour out the salt and oopppppssss there goes the bride)

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 14

can we see a pic of them, it might help us to help you. Plus i am sure they are amazing. I have made fondant figures before but 1 they were very dry and 2 they were not as fragile i am assuming. I wrapped mine in wax paper and then paper towel. Then to transport them the box i put them in was small so there was not any shifting. Then in the car they were placed where the box it would not shift and nothing would fall on it.

the figures i am talking of are my raindeer and santa with i his sled. it was when i was living in sumter, sc and had to drive to ashville, nc for the gingerbread comp. there is a pic of it in my photos.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #4 of 14

Maybe you could get a shoe box and put piece of soft foam in the bottom,
lay the figure on its back and support it on all sides with rolled up bubble wrap to keep it from moving. Then place a layer of bubble wrap on top and cover with the box lid.

If not bubble wrap, maybe some poly fill stuff to make pillows from Michaels or any hobby store. Good luck!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 14

"Air popped" popcorn....so there's no grease on the bride and groom?

KarenOR Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 14

Great ideas.
I'll try and post pictures for the final decision in a little while. I'm trying to pack everything else and I haven't taken any pics yet.
I have a huge bag of sushi rice, so it's small pieces. I also have a box of quinoa, which is nice and small. salt is also a good idea.
Thanks guys. I'll be back in a bit!

KarenOR Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 14

Alright, here they are. Not my best work, but it was my first people. I think the guy turned out pretty well. I dislike the head on the girl, but whatever. It's the second one and it kind of got squished as it dried.
I'll touch up the color when we get there.
That's what they attire looks like, with hiking boots and backpacks.
LL
LL

momvarden Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #8 of 14

They are wonderful. Thank you so much, they make me smile.

KarenOR Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:37am
post #9 of 14

Anyone else want to chime in before I submerge them in rice or salt or something?

momvarden Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:41am
post #10 of 14

I looked right at your pics and looked over your writing. I feel your pain about the thing with the woman. You see i a building up 2 f-16s and i have had to make a 3 rd one because the first one i attempted was horrible.

why is it that when your working on anything in 2's one always works and the 2nd one always goes weird. lol

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:44am
post #11 of 14

rice gets my vote. won't absorb any moisture that may come off the figures, won't stick to the figures, won't affect the smell, taste (as if anyone would eat those two cuties anyway), texture, colors, etc., easy to work with, pour some into the box gently lay each one in and pour more in to fill in the gaps.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #12 of 14

oh and i meant to add.. they are SUPER cute.. i love that they are wearing wedding clothes with hiking boots (are the real bride & groom wearing that in the wedding??) i think you did a GREAT job for your first attemp at people! as momvarden said, they make me smile... they are just cute.

KarenOR Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:22am
post #13 of 14

Yep, the hair and outfits are exactly what they are wearing. They sent pictures icon_smile.gif

and thank you!

KarenOR Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #14 of 14

Yep, the hair and outfits are exactly what they are wearing. They sent pictures icon_smile.gif

and thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%