Silver Ri???

Baking By l80bug79 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm by antonia74

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 3

i'm a newbie and need some guidence on color. would like to use "silver" on some cookies i will be doing in stead of just a flat grey. i've looked online with the company i order my supplies from and all i can find is adding silver highlighter to the icing, but it doesn't say if i can use on with RI and being new, i'm just not sure.

also,

what's the difference (if any) between cookie glaze (i've printed toba cookie glaze recipe) and royal icing (antonia's recipe) as far as decorating with them?

thanks!!!!
Aimee

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 3

To get a real silvery shine, it works best to 'paint' over the dried royal with luster dust/alcohol paint.

Toba's glaze is a bit softer and a bit transparent compared to Antonia's icing or ordinary royal. The glaze will dry slower-sometimes takes a full day, and it does not work for the decoration, it is best for the flat cookie icing background.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 3

I *think* (could be wrong) that the highlighter isn't actually meant for consumption? I bought some last year online too and only found out when i got it that it's technically not an edible product, grr!

My best advice is to ice your cookie in grey royal icing (I've only ever used my recipe, not experimented with the Toba glaze) THEN do two coats with the regular silver lustre dust. That way, you have no white streaks showing and it's actually pretty grey/silver with those double coats. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%