Topsy Turvey Help

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 2:54am by PinkZiab

ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all, I have a very specific request for an alice in wonderland topsy turvey cake for this weekend. Problem is, I never made a topsy turvey before and I can't seem to figure out EXACTLY how to stack the tiers in a sturdy way and how to dowel them together. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!!!
here's the cake:
LL

9 replies
ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 10

der, I just read the tutorial on top of the forum page, but how do I do that, and have a smooth top of the cake?

Sarsi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 10

Hi ladybuglau!! I'm the one that wrote the tutorial....I don't understand what you're asking....you need a smooth top on the cake?? You mean you want the cake top to be straight, not at an angle??

ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 10

Hi Sarsi, my concern is with hammering the dowel straight through the 2 tiers because the top of the cake actually won't have the cards, so you'd see the hole in the top
btw, thanx for your help!

Sarsi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 10

Well, if there's nothing to cover up the hole.... my question would be...Are you going to be traveling with the cake? If you are going to be making it at your home, and leaving it on the counter, not moving it around a whole lot, it will be fine without a dowel in the center...

ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 10

the cake will be travelling, and not with me. The birthday girl's mom lives about 40 mins away, but thats' 40 mins of stop and go brooklyn street traffic icon_cry.gif

Sarsi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 10

Okay, then I would suggest going into the article section...well...here...this will be easier. This way would probably work the best for you then icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 10

eeek, seems so much more difficult than your way! lol, thank you icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 10

Well...it is... LOL.. Sorry!! icon_smile.gif I've done a couple cakes this way as well, so if you need any help or support, feel free to PM me all you want!! icon_biggrin.gif Good luck!!

PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:54am
post #10 of 10

If you want a center dowel without a hole in your top layer, pre-drill a hole in the center of the cake board for your top tier. Hammer the dowel through the lower tiers, and simply lower the top tier down onto the dowel through the hole in the cake board. Just make sure you've measure the dowel correctly so it doesn't come up through the top tier (only needs to be 2/3 the way into the top tier)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%